Extreme Asymmetric Fin Designs

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I really am surprised how well these fly.

After flying the Odd'l Rockets Corkscrew and some other extreme Asymmetric Ring Fin designs (Triple Sec and Little Deuce Scoupe Two Stage), wondered how well markedly asymmetric fin placement would work with other geometric shapes other than rings. This is also part of my "research" for a MIRV type rocket with a single booster and three sustainers (tentatively going to be the Cerberus, as the concept and name MIRV Gryphon has already been used) and possible a Medusa (with single booster and 6 sustainers--- although keeping track for recovery purposed may be a nightmare.)

In any case, here are the Test Rockets. All of these had perfectly straight trajectories with no weather cocking (although winds were minimal). All of them did "corkscrew" or roll around their long axes, but it did not affect the flight path. The last one, the "Square-Off" had an interesting descent. Even though it was a streamer rocket, with a normal internal shock cord attachment, the rocket recovered in a horizontal attitude, in fact it was almost a glide recovery. All of these were BT-5 with 1/32 balsa fins (some of them were papered ----the papering made it easier to get the shape right during the build.)Devil's Triangle 1.jpgDevil's Triangle 2.jpgMach Diamond 1.jpgMach Diamond 2.jpg

Corkscrewing generally causes any pitching tendencies to cancel out over the course of the flight, so they often end up going fairly straight (though not as high as a non-corkscrewing flight).

Pretty cool designs. It is amazing how stable some designs fly. I saw them make a builder fly on research day because it was going to be less stable. Straight as an arrow.

Back