Executioner Upgrade?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WizardOfAZ

Reaction score
Well, now that my last few projects are rounding up, I jumped in to another one today! I was at my local hobby shop, where they were adding additional 20% discounts to already discounted items! IF YOU ARE IN THE PHOENIX AREA, GO TO HOBBY BENCH ON 43RD AND BELL! Anyway, I got an Estes Executioner, which was usually about $50, discounted to $39, and finally after another 20% a grand total of $31.00! It's a pretty sweet rocket for $30! I was impressed to see how quality it is, with locking through the wall fins and plywood at that. It's all rigged up for 24mm, but I'm thinking of trying my first crack at fiberglass and going to a 29! Just wondering if anyone has ever done much with an Executioner before? I'm pretty excited. Only after I pulled it out and connected the body tubes did I realize how big this thing is! Best $30 I've ever spent!

executioner.jpg

Progress to follow...

You won't need to glass it for 29mm. I forget, does it come with balsa or light ply centering rings. All you'll need to do is beef up the centering rings and motor tube to switch over to 29mm. As far as the fins, just trim down the tabs to fit the 29mm configuration.

If the existing centering rings are balsa, I'd just modify for 29mm and laminate both sides with 110lb card stock or even use manilla file folders to laminate with. I've used file folders many times. It's actually better than card stock.

This is also a great model to use a cold air baffle and center break recovery.

If you don't want to go the 29mm route, the Executioner will sky up pretty quickly on a 24mm F39. Reloads are cheaper, too.

c-rings are cardboard/pressed paper, fins are light ply. should handle up to an F built stock. I did find a gotcha or two with mine, lower tube(the slotted one) was a bit out of round, and two of the fins were bowed. I converted the tube coupler into an ejection baffle(had to shorten the stuffer tube 1.5").
rex

I kept mine stock. It flies great on E11's. But then, I am Captain Low-N-Slow! LOL

[YOUTUBE]yZtbIFRE9hY[/YOUTUBE]

Wow! That really is a good load for that bird. Nice!

Yeah, I like it. It's impressive with all the black smoke, but it doesn't go too high. I like the long burn, too. But next time, I think I'll try an F12.

I kept mine stock. It flies great on E11's. But then, I am Captain Low-N-Slow! LOL

Nice video! Looks great. Love the black smoke. I'm debating the 29 and thinking I might just run it on a 24-40. We'll see...

Josh, one bonus of leaving it 24mm is you can also build a booster and fly it two stage. I made a booster that looks like an engine bell for my sons executioner. It stages about 3-400'. Always a good show.

Josh, one bonus of leaving it 24mm is you can also build a booster and fly it two stage. I made a booster that looks like an engine bell for my sons executioner. It stages about 3-400'. Always a good show.

Got any pictures you could share with us?

We're still draggin' on a paint scheme but here it is in white/grey primer and silver engine bell booster. We couldn't go completely nude. It's staging D12/0 to D12/5. The setting on my camera got screwed up so it's a bit dark but you get the idea.

attachment.php

We're still draggin' on a paint scheme but here it is in white/grey primer and silver engine bell booster. We couldn't go completely nude. It's staging D12/0 to D12/5. The setting on my camera got screwed up so it's a bit dark but you get the idea.

That is too darn cool!!!

Just enough material used for staging, no more & no less. Neat! Streamer recovery?
Thanks for shareing.

Airframe is nylon chute and booster is tumble recovery. I really can't guess as to altitude but it gets up there pretty good. It's a really cool, slow liftoff.

I have flown mine on AT F-21's SU motors many times. Built stock.

I realized these fins were probably birchwood when I started trimming and sanding the edges. Then I looked on Estes' website and found out I was totally wrong! They are in fact "bichwood". :lol:

Which makes perfect sense to me, because every time I sit down and try to work on them, my wife comes by and "biches"...

Check out the Estes page here!

Last edited:
I made mine a 2 by 24mm cluster. It flies great and whenever
my son and I launch we almost always fly the executioner
at least once. I made the centering rings out of 5/32" ply.
I also added an extra tube coupler right in front of motor
mount to add a little strength to main tube.

finish9.jpg

motormount.jpg

rings.jpg

motormount2.jpg

centering ring2.jpg

Here is a shot of extra coupler. Mine had warped fins
also so I made new ones out of the same 5/32" plywood.
I did call estes about the fins and they told me
they would send me new fins. Being a mature adult
I couldn't wait for new fins to arrive in the mail is why
I made new ones. With in about a week I received a package
from Estes I though was new fins. The box seemed a bit
large for fins and to my supprise it was a complete
Executioner kit.

coupler.jpg

I made mine a 2 by 24mm cluster. It flies great and whenever
my son and I launch we almost always fly the executioner
at least once. I made the centering rings out of 5/32" ply.
I also added an extra tube coupler right in front of motor
mount to add a little strength to main tube.

Great looking motor mount! What motors do you usually fly it on?

Josh, I like the two stage idea, or this kit could be just another reason to get that 24/40 engine casing we were talking about.
I built another Aspire with the "booster" fin can I brought to the club meeting, and haven't had time to try that idea again. This kit looks like a good candidate for a booster too.

Back