Estes Venus Probe

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had to make a larger one since the recommended one can down too fast.

Here is the best pictures of the recovery:

Launch 7-4-08 016_Crop.jpgLaunch 7-4-08 017_Crop.jpg

I have used that Dollar Store Mylar parachute on many rockets. Works great.

Sheesh! this thread is too short! I completed mine a couple of years ago; it flies best on Quest D16-4's, although a full D impulse in 18mm would be good as well. Since these pictures, my wife has made up thin mil nylon semi-elliptical parachutes, which are far better for the limited laundry space up top.

1st, in my shop with a couple of others from the fleet.
20200210_063017.jpg
The "Astronaut Girl" decal is taken from a video my (now 9 year old) granddaughter liked to watch about why we don't go to Venus. The strange thing just above the Venus Probe sticker is a cartoon character that I made up as a kid. He's an inflatable computer and is ridiculously afraid of heights.

Maiden flight, August 9, 2020, my oldest son pushing the button:
Venus_Probe-1_Moment(2)cr.jpg

Recovery Granddaughters race to the scene!
Venus_Probe-1_Moment(16)cr.jpg

And recover the alien as well!
Venus_Probe_Alien_recovery.jpg

Finally, a pre-built shot of the alien:
20200127_212450cr.jpg
Yes, it's Alien Elvis! And when he leaves the building he REALLY leaves the building!
Thanks for looking!

I should add, that first flight was on a C6-3. Now I'm in hilly, woodsy, Western PA and have a very small local field, but that C6-3 is still too small! Look at it arching over, it was almost nose down by the time the ejection charge went off!
Venus_Probe-1_Moment(7)cr.jpg

Maybe that's by design, but even on as small a field as I have, I'm more comfortable with a Quest D16-4. That extra 30% impulse does the trick.

Back