Estes Vangaurd Eagle Construction

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huxley

Reaction score
This is a great X-prize kit - very pretty!

I already had a "gotcha" that I wanted to share.

Putting the plastic centering rings on the end of the body tube, I must have let the plastic cement dry a little, because I had to push quite hard to get the CR onto the tube. When I pushed hard, the CR went completly over the end of the tube - crushing it a bit. The tube is only supposed to be inserted onto the CR until the tube hits the lip on the end of the CR.

Well, I could not fix the tube, so I tore it down and got a new engine tube and started again. I tried to break the mylar ring around the hook of the old tube and could not break it! :eek: It was glued on w white glue. Those are tough buggers!

I'll post pics when I get more done.

Pat

Originally posted by huxley
This is a great X-prize kit - very pretty!

Yes it is. Mine came out awesome too.

I flew it for the first time today on a B6-4. It appeared to be stable but it went off at a 45 degree angle, not sure why.

Recovery was pretty fast. I had a feeling that the 12 inch chute was a bit small. It bounced pretty good knocking one of the nozzles off the bottom but I found it and glued it back on with CA.

I personally think a 15 inch chute is needed to bring this rocket in safely.

OK, here's my Eagle totally ready to fly!

Oh wind, please be gentle!

It helped to leave the bottom nozzles off until I had the decals on. I used CA on all the plastic parts.

Back