Estes Super Shot sim file?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SolarYellow

Basket of deployables.
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Last time I visited the kiddo, we picked up an Estes Super Shot starter kit from Hobby Lobby.

https://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-H...uper-Shot-Model-Rocket-Starter-Kit/p/80959016
I want to do some sims for different engines. Both to choose the best delays (I think I know the answers, but I'd like to see the numbers) and to compare performance measured with a MicroPeak to predicted performance. All for the teaching, to introduce kiddo to the concepts of rocketry, testing vs. prediction, and the differences between this rocket and the Hi Flier I'm going to guide him in building.

The Super Shot is already assembled and has nine successful flights, so I can't go and weigh and measure everything to build an .ork model. I could just do overall dims and wing it with overrides on the mass and c.g., but that's kind of a hack.

I've googled and searched here and at Rocket Reviews. Haven't found a .rok or .ork for it. Just wondering if anyone has one, or might have an unassembled one sitting around and the interest to knock together a sim?

The Super Shot is already assembled and has nine successful flights, so I can't go and weigh and measure everything to build an .ork model. I could just do overall dims and wing it with overrides on the mass and c.g., but that's kind of a hack.
That's not a hack at all, in fact it is exactly what you need to do for an already-built rocket. Detailed internals are more for planning and designing.

Even if you had all the internals modeled, you still need to weigh the rocket and override mass and CG at the end after it's built.

Just measured and weighed the actual rocket. All-up weight on the sim based on component measurements was 53.1g. Actual rocket all-up weighed 54.3g, so I overrode the mass of the "thread spigot" for the motor retainer, adding the 1.2g there. Resulting c.g. came out right on where it balanced with string, within the precision of the string and my marking the BT with a Sharpie. I guess I'm OK at this... :) Haven't flown it with an altimeter yet, but my .ork file is attached.

Attachments

• Estes Super Shot.ork
    5.9 KB · Views: 0
Back