Estes Super Neon XL and 29mm Upscale

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is!

Ok, so I decided that I will probably not set-this rocket up on dual deploy, at least not for awhile. I figure with a 29/240 case and an H motor this thing still wont go much more than 1200 feet. This will be more or less my first set-up out of the estes stuff as i've stated.

SO, with that being said how should I set-up the deployment? Still have it break in the middle?

Been busy but ups dropped off all my paint and StickerShock23 has my vinyls in the mail and on the way!! Decal is going to read "Super Neon XXL"

Its looking like im going to build a baffle zipperless setup into this rocket for simplicity and the low altitude flights this will see.

I have a 2.25 dia. 3.5lb 4fnc rocket with DD that I used for my L1. An H250G in the 29/240 case will put it just over 2,000 ft. I would expect your neon to get at least that altitude with any reload in the 29/240 case.

I would use 1/8" tubular Kevlar for shock cord. That's what I have in mine and it's worked great. Strong but low volume when you pack it. I usually put 4-5 loops together and wrap with masking tape. 4-5 more loops and more tape, repeat until most of the shock cord is in one taped up bundle. The breaking tape will slow down the two halves at deployment and reduce shock.

I would recommend setting up with dual deploy, even if you don't use it at first. DD really isn't that difficult and I think the deployments are better and usually gentler deployment then ill timed motor ejection. Once you start using it, I think you'll probably like the DD better then motor ejection.

If you keep the MMT about 10" long, you should have plenty of room for main deploy in the lower half, especially if you use the 1/8" Kevlar and a hemispherical chute.

That's my :2:

Good luck and have fun! :D

Thanks for the reccomendations, the weather is getting nice again so maybe I should finish this thing after sitting for so long!!

Going to paint it this week. And will 1/4" launch lugs be sufficient?

I went with buckaroo's method and it worked great! Fins all glued on, used wood glue for the tack, going to go back with microballons and epoxy for thick fillets

I have a Super XL and I kept losing the fins on it, mostly due to drags on a windy field. I just removed them all, and it flies super without them. Have just beefed up the recovery in it and am going to put it up on an Aerotech SU F at the next club launch.

Also let me say I wholeheartedly appreciate your use of beer bottles as scale. :cool:

Did this Super Neon ever get finished? Launched?

Still have not flow it, 5 years later it's time! Gong to get back into this fun stuff :)

I just knocked up a finless SN XL with a 29mm motor mount. Ready for paint and the recovery system. Not going to spend a lot of time on the finish....building this one just for flying and not for looking at.

Primary use will be as a BT60 test bed for the BT60 version of my RC Chute Sled (non-pyro dual deploy of main chute after motor ejection, on demand via RC)

Hey i notices the RV-4 plans in the BG! Have you finished it? i have the exact same kit and am about half way through!

I went a slightly different route with my Super-Duper Neon 29.

Constructed from LOC Precision tube parts, it's the same size as the conventional Estes Super Neon XL but has a 29mm motor mount with an AeroPac motor retainer.

View attachment 281324

While it was designed to fly on a baby H motor, my largest boost to date has only been on a G53.

Note: No finlets on my bird. Tube fin rockets have no need for additional drag.

Note 2: Vinyl by Mark at Stickershock23. 'Sup Mark!

Hello! FYI 10yrs later its finally completed 😂

Ive been sporadic with my hobbies and now BAR'ed again, pulled the thing out of my storage and finished it up, will fly it this weekend along with my newly built Zephyr as well :)

She flew! No flame pictures but first flight on a g64 was great! H is next after I get my L1 with my zephyr

Attachments

• E5FE8964-2326-436C-A4D2-2B98B5C8AA42.jpeg
    E5FE8964-2326-436C-A4D2-2B98B5C8AA42.jpeg
    114.3 KB · Views: 22
Hey guys, new here on Rocketry Forum after wanting to build rockets again. Last time I messed with this stuff was over 10 years ago. One of Estes's newest release spiked my interest again, I love tube fin designs and the colors attracted me to it!

So I was looking to bring back som childhood memories but with more fire power, and have never done anything bigger than D's, so I also ordered parts to build a upscaled version of the Neon XL.

Here is the 24mm stock neon xl i just finished. The purple I used was a little darker and does not match the graphics, but on the big one im going to have StickerShock23 match some up for me:)

View attachment 16742

View attachment 16743

View attachment 16744
The color of that particular brand of paint is gorgeous. I think I’m might check it out.

Might have to, already have a 38-240 case and an H123 for the Zephyr, and this Neon is a 29mm lol, only reason i didnt fly the zephyr is due to the nose cone practically fusing on in the heat that day... lol.

Back