Estes Super Big Bertha in a non-standard paintjob

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill S

Reaction score
I built a modified Estes Super Big Bertha for the wife. She helped a bit, but her skills aren't up to this kit and she has arthritis issues with her hands at times.

I added an BT-60 stuffer tube, ending about 10" from the front end of the main body tube. I used some styrene 1/8" hollow tubing that has aluminum duct tape wrapped around it for heat resistance, to allow the kevlar cord that is attached to the rear of the motor mount to exit the front of main body tube.

The paintjob is an Krylon Gloss Black undercoat with Testors Purple Sunrise color shifting paint for the body, and Rustoleum Premium Automotive lacquer Matte blue for the fins and nosecone. Pity the color shifting paint is no longer made.

DSC02583.JPG

I have a bottle of purple sunrise I found at Michaels a few months ago. How did you apply it? Looks really good!

Looks great! I was at Michael's with my wife a few weeks ago, and wandered over to the hobby section. In addition to some Revell plastic models that were on clearance for $5 (1), I saw the Testors color shift paint cans were also on sale/clearance for about $2, so I pretty much cleared them out. If I recall correctly, the one can I had previously purchased at full retail was $7+, so I figured it was a good time to stock-up.

I have a bottle of purple sunrise I found at Michaels a few months ago. How did you apply it? Looks really good!

You have to put a couple coats of black undercoat on first. I use glossy black, but you might get by with semi-gloss. I did 4 light coats of the Purple Sunrise. I made sure to do a test piece to ensure that the Krylon black undercoat wouldn't react with the Testors.

Its a bummer that Testors (Rustoleum owns them now) is discontinuing most of their spray paints, etc.

You have to put a couple coats of black undercoat on first. I use glossy black, but you might get by with semi-gloss. I did 4 light coats of the Purple Sunrise. I made sure to do a test piece to ensure that the Krylon black undercoat wouldn't react with the Testors.

Its a bummer that Testors (Rustoleum owns them now) is discontinuing most of their spray paints, etc.

thanks I'll keep that in mind I was more curious if you brushed it on or put it through an airbrush?

Ahhhh the color shift paint I have is in a non spray bottle. I guess I get to experiment with it.

Back