Estes' So Long

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhlAsh

Reaction score
If I read it right, this thing has a 1.21" OD. Did Estes acquire someone else's 29mm motor tubes? What BT designation (if any) are they giving 'em?

They have their own 29mm motor tubes in many PSII kits. So Long is made from the same stock, just longer pieces.

I don't know if that stuff has a BT-size designation. It would have to be something between -50 and -55. Something is nagging at the back of my mind about "BTH-52" or "BT-52H" though.

Hmm.

At the BMS website, they list BT-52H as 29mm motor mount:
1697567682843.png

However, in the OpenRocket parts database, BT52 is listed with very different dimensions (quite a bit smaller)
1697567725600.png

Something is amiss.

[edit] In the OR database (which nowadays is @caveduck 's parts DB) here is the listing for 29mm motor mount:
1697568106974.png

Note no mention of BT52 or BT52H. I am very confused.

Also I guess whatever long pieces of 29mm mount are used in the So Long are new parts.

Last edited:
Hmm.

At the BMS website, they list BT-52H as 29mm motor mount:
View attachment 610106

However, in the OpenRocket parts database, BT52 is listed with very different dimensions (quite a bit smaller)
View attachment 610108

Something is amiss.
Perhaps just a past clash of naming standards? There is that "H" in the 29mm motor mount names. The BMS stuff is correct in OpenRocket, BTW.

Perhaps just a past clash of naming standards? There is that "H" in the 29mm motor mount names. The BMS stuff is correct in OpenRocket, BTW.
The H usually just means heavy-wall; ID should be the same between regular and H variety. Whatever is going on here it is weird.

For whatever its worth, So Long uses two of the 31360 tubes (which are 8 inches long), one piece of the same stock six inches long, P/N 31148 (booster body), and one of the same stock which is 16.25 inches long, P/N 31963. This latter is the main sustainer body. The two 8 inchers are the lower sustainer body and the payload section tube.

Definitely a very cool design. What kind of trackers are being used with this kit (unless you consider it a single use model, lol).

Last edited:
Back