• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Found Estes Sky Raider (1290): Color Decal Scans, and new scans of the fins (w/ruler)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K'Tesh

.....OpenRocket's ..... "Chuck Norris"
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm working on a sim for the Estes Sky Raider, and I need some help. JimZ's got a pretty decent scan of the decals... However, they're in black and white, and have no indication of scale. Potentially worse, it looks like the narrow band that goes around the top of the payload section is red in the catalog. This isn't something that you can see in a black and white scan.

I could really use a scan of the decals (in color) along with a ruler (preferably with 1/16" or 1/32" markings (not a wooden ruler)).

EDIT: JimZ is actively updating his files, and the black and white photocopy of the fins is a prime candidate for getting the update treatment. If anyone could scan those too, it'd be appreciated.

Thanks!
Jim

Last edited:
Here is a PDF (because for some reason this forum still doesn't allow SVG files) of a redraw with a red stripe that gives a 3/32" wrap overlap (the wraps are 4.255" long rectangles).
The file from JimZ is 300dpi so you can check the size of the wraps in the files against the diameter of a BT55. If the wrap decal is less than 4.16" or wildly longer then scale your image/print.

kj

Attachments

• skyraiderdrawing.pdf
    26.5 KB · Views: 0
Hi kjohnson,

Thanks for the .pdf. I hope you don't mind if I share it with JimZ

I'd still like to see an original scan of the decals (w/a ruler), just for documentation sake. I'm working with JimZ on updating his files, and this is a prime candidate for updating.

All The Best!

(caught a typo in KJ's name... fixed now... Sorry about that. )

Last edited:
The upper decal band in the kit I built in the 70s is black (the decal is all black). It was from a kit with the “NEW” logo on it, attached is the built kit and the kit bag.

Attachments

• C733E52D-6712-42B1-BE8F-D9C880852E47.jpeg
    C733E52D-6712-42B1-BE8F-D9C880852E47.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 022C579D-D584-4D3E-92C0-590465D2D650.jpeg
    022C579D-D584-4D3E-92C0-590465D2D650.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
I've been at work for the last couple of days... and this morning (w/o checking this thread), I suddenly had a moment of clarity... I've been told that the "red band" isn't red. However the Estes catalog seems to imply that it did. How to resolve this?

And then I remembered something... If it's old, rare, original, and has been photographed, it has to have been built by @SCIGS30. So I searched TRF, and low and behold... It was built by David Scigs. The answer (as far as the production, and not the catalog, kit goes) is... It's not red. It's black.

1676848670063.png
Photo credit: David Scigs

I post my results on FB... And then as I go to post this... I see @5x7's post. Further confirmation.

JimZ has already updated the files... with info he already had, and the cleaned decal image from kjohnson.

Thanks guys!

Last edited:
And thanks to the admins, SVG files are now available to add, so here is the original redrawing file.

Attachments

• skyraiderdrawing.svg
    65.9 KB · Views: 0
Back