Estes Silver Comet

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not to discourage the effort but the chances of the Silver Comet coming back is very, very small - the molds for the unique version of the PNC-80K with the hatch details used by the Silver Comet are likely long gone and would cost Estes way more money to redo than they’d ever get back in sales.

However, if they brought back the BT-80 based V-2, which has been OOP for a surprisingly long time now, you’d have everything you’d need to kitbash a Silver Comet but the decals…😉

I'm going BMS NC for the NC, DBRM NC for the tail cone. Might add some smallish strake/pods to the fin tips. Stickershock23 has the vinyl, but I'm thinking about a very different graphics look. Maybe inspired by some vintage Thunderbirds schemes. Keep a lot of aluminum look, but need a non-metallic paint on the NC for the GPS TX/RX.

Not to discourage the effort but the chances of the Silver Comet coming back is very, very small - the molds for the unique version of the PNC-80K with the hatch details used by the Silver Comet are likely long gone and would cost Estes way more money to redo than they’d ever get back in sales.

However, if they brought back the BT-80 based V-2, which has been OOP for a surprisingly long time now, you’d have everything you’d need to kitbash a Silver Comet but the decals…😉
Personally I like the V2 better and my V2 was kit-bashed from a Silver Comet back when the Silver Comet was still in production.
I think if Estes wanted to come back out with a Silver Comet they could just provide a new decal that includes outlines for the cockpit.

I wish I had them at hand but I recently saw someone posted a pattern to use with a Cricut for the window outlines. The idea was that you'd cut them from either very thin balsa or thick card stock and epoxy that to the nose cone.

The hardest part would be getting the tail cone but using a second nose cone with the tip cut off would probably be close enough.

The fins patterns are available here https://plans.rocketshoppe.com/estes/est2141/est2141.htm

Decals are also available. https://www.ebay.com/itm/325324716677?hash=item4bbedd3a85:g:JbMAAOSwdb9jDxmB&amdata=enc:AQAIAAAA4O9OaUlknHxIsib9t4Xf6WaRvY/CEnlG/Yw1XWBPTQ+PHlW0Ss3NtxYub8+2OqEecFJSZC82Fi+kJ+oadPv6jw7pnyGiinBYiuqJmPmbnKQIU0HAP3B0wSoEZTAYbh+/rGoEk46E4z+yeiCQGJ6lss66N3OBk+iH8VOjey+ZJ3W+29IZPL8eF0XBbZIBRT/VkQLl+ZpnZJk9KzkxLb3kEH7MWPtSDH9GZ7v0nQQGMP2TaAaJS4sfhSCoojLS5bYrTwm9U/ezWhiyuOQdfzo2JNvBGKDr3FHJHHz4YQmrSnF1|tkp:Bk9SR_yn0NKGYw

OR

https://stickershock23.com/product/estes-silver-comet/

It would be awesome to see them bring that back, I'm not sure it would happen. It would be cool to have them bring back certain models and keep them in production. Another reason I want a 3D printer and laser cutter, I need to make my own stuff. It's cool buying some kits, but many kits I don't use hardly anything from the kits but body tubes and nosecones. Not to mention custom parts...Well anyways, I wish you luck.

Back