Estes S.S. Cassiopeia: Satisfying unrequited love

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was hoping to get out for a launch today, but the forecast is a windy one, so I'm working on some builds.

I've been finishing a family trio of Icarus clones, so haven't had quite as much time for Cassy as I had hoped. Luckily, she's not the jealous type.

Since last report, here's what I've done:

1. On the lower section with fins, I carefully marked off three points on the upper edge of that piece of BT50, marking the midway point between each of the fin lines. The dowel supports need to be glued midway between the fins, and these marks will be the genesis of some mounting lines. At first I wasn't sure what the best way to mark these was... eventually I took a piece of paper and wrapped it around the body tube, marking two of the existing three fin lines onto the paper. Then I folded the paper such that these two tick marks lined up, and the crease was smack in the middle. Then, having a template for where the middle point was, I put the paper back on the tube, lined it up, and transferred the crease-located mark to the BT50. rotate tube, repeat two more times.

2. Then I carefully glued (with Titebond II) all of the BT50 sections to the BT20/centering ring assemblies. The forward two are generic, but the aft section with fins I put on such that the motor hook aligns with the centerline between two of the fins. Not necessary, but makes it look better to me.

3. While that stuff was drying I went to work on the dowel/dowel support assemblies. I sealed the balsa with CA (I had previously soaked in some wood glue onto the root edges). Rubbed on some CWF, let dry, sanded smooth.

4. By this time the main rocket assembly had dried, so I extended those tick marks on the BT50 in between the fins, to provide mounting lines for the dowel supports. I extended them all the way onto the forward BT50, to mark where the dowels should mate to the tubes up front.

5. Those of you who are familiar with my build threads know that I hate to attach fins (or finlike structures) without a fin jig of some sort. I'm just not that good with my hands. But for this situation I sucked it up. Using standard double-glue technique, I successfully mounted the fins one by one, holding at correct position and angle until the bond was strong enough. This was a little bit easier than usual for me because the dowels extend forward quite a ways, and lining them up with the marks on the BT50 up there was an aid to making sure they were on straight relative to the tube.

6. I got my SEMROC discs in; I glued these to the fins at the appropriate spots. On the original model this would have significantly strengthened the joint where the fin extensions meet the fins. On mine, I not only had a wood glue bond there, but also papered over and soaked with CA, so for me the discs are more decorative than anything else. I scuffed up the CA papered surface, and used wood glue to stick them on. I've found as long as CA-impregnated paper is sufficiently scuffed, you can get a decent bond with carpenter's glue.

7. I also used some medium thick CA on the inside of the ringfin. Just swabbed it around and then after dry smoothed it with some 220 grit paper. I'm thinking this will make a nice smooth surface in there to aid bonding of some trim monokote, which I plan to use on the inside of the ring fin.

OK, enough talk, here are some pictures:

Overall view:

Cassiopeia 021.jpg

Close ups:

Cassiopeia 022.jpgCassiopeia 023.jpg

I need to sand the forward and back dowel ends to even them up (there's some slight variability, to my eye), then glue down the forward dowel ends. At first, I thought I had the dowel support angle wrong since the tips don't touch the body tube. But reading the instructions again, I see you are supposed to bend them down and hold with tape while the glue dries. The bend actually imparts an extra nice touch visually, I think... I held down the dowels as a test. Looks nice.

At the aft end, I need to put on the discs from SEMROC but I have some special thoughts on this so I'm holding off for now.

I also need to put a launch lug on... it will go against one of the dowel supports.

I'm pleased by how it's coming together.

Last edited:
Thanks les!

Meanwhile, here's a picture of Cassie with her dowel struts glued. Still need to do some detail work around the attachment points to blend them a bit more.

Cassiopeia 024.jpg

And I still need to get that launch lug on her...

Got the launch lug on her. Next up is working on the discs that go toward the ends of the dowels. Then I have to make a final decision on paint, as that will impact what I do for final seam filling and such.

With the addition of the dowel discs, construction has concluded:

Cassiopeia 025.jpg

Here are some close-ups:

Cassiopeia 026.jpg

Cassiopeia 027.jpg

I'm still going back and forth on how to finish her, but for now I'm leaning toward the next step being filler primer and then touch up with bondo spot putty as needed.

Marc

Work slowed on Cassie while I finished off some Icarus and got other projects started. But I did use some CWF to improve the smoothness of the dowel-to-body-tube joints:

Cassiopeia 028.jpg

I'm not sure this will satisfy me; after doing some filler primer I'll see how it looks and maybe go at it again with some spot putty. Because sanding the CWF removed some of the glassine at the same time, I used a qtip with some CA on it and re-sealed the body tube around the area, and soaked some of the CA into the CWF to harden it. If I need to sand around there again, the shaped CWF will be pretty resilient, since it's now a CWF-CA composite.

Next step is filler primer, when the weather permits. It has been rainy here.

View attachment 126914

Because sanding the CWF removed some of the glassine at the same time, I used a qtip with some CA on it and re-sealed the body tube around the area, and soaked some of the CA into the CWF to harden it. If I need to sand around there again, the shaped CWF will be pretty resilient, since it's now a CWF-CA composite.

Next step is filler primer, when the weather permits. It has been rainy here.

I have employed this technique and the resulting surface on the hardend CWF can be made to be glass smooth.

I've noticed that a slight dimple will form between the tip of the part (fin tip/dowel tip) being worked on and the body tube.
This small dimple is a bugger to get rid of and may require several sessions of fill, sand, primer and sand to eliminate the dimple and achive the smooth transistion you want.

Happy sanding!

No, I'm thinking about doing two colors plus silver (or aluminum, something metallic) on the little disc things. Still not entirely sure. Going to put filler primer on it in a few minutes.

I hit it with filler primer on Wednesday and I has been hanging out in the garage since then.

Here she is in uniform gray Rusto filler primer:

Cassiopeia 030.jpg

Today I sanded it down using an assortment of 220 & 320 paper, sponges, so on. Here it is after sanding:

Cassiopeia 031.jpg
Cassiopeia 032.jpg
Cassiopeia 033.jpg
Cassiopeia 034.jpg

After sanding things down reasonably well, I hit it with Valspar white spray primer (product #85054) which I get typically at Lowes.

Since I'm planning to use lacquer paint on this project, I haven't been using my acrylic stuff but rattle cans instead. I've always had good experiences using any lacquer paint on top of the Valspar primer. And it works fine on top of Rustoleum auto filler primer.

Today, though, I had a little problem. On one little area of the rocket, I got some crinkling when spraying the white primer.

Cassiopeia 035.jpg

Interestingly, this spot is where I resealed the body tube with some thin CA after roughing up the tube with some sanding. That's the only special thing I can think of that correlates with the area where there's trouble. I'll sand that spot down tomorrow or Monday and try another coat of the primer there before proceeding.

It's kind of annoying, because I NEVER get these kinds of problems when using this combination of paints, but there's always an exception I guess. I rarely use anything other than my acrylics for color coats these days, and usually an acrylic primer as well. Looking forward to using up my rattlecan stash on a few projects.

Marc

The wrinkles mostly flattened out as the primer dried. Not totally, but 80% or so.

My theory is:

When I was CA-treating the tube around the dowel attachment points to smooth it out, maybe I forgot to sand this one little section to roughen it up. So, maybe it was super smooth. This wouldn't give the filler primer anything to bite into. When the white primer went on, it saturated the gray filler primer with solvent making it expand a bit. No problem on the rest of the rocket where the filler primer was keyed mechanically into the sanded surface, but in this one spot with glass-smooth hard CA, the filler didn't bite so it expanded, then flattened out a bit as the solvent evaporated.

Just my guess, which would explain the facts as I understand them.

Anyway, tomorrow I'll lightly sand the area and go over it again.

Today I sanded down the area and gave two quick sprays of the white primer to the affected zone. I'm letting it sit for a couple days before proceeding.

I had been planning to give certain areas of the rocket a coat of white lacquer, letting dry, then masking parts of that white coated area and coating the rest of the bird with metallic blue lacquer. Now I'm worried I'll have further problems with crinkling in the spot that gave me problems before, or that the masking tape, when pulled, will pull up the paint. Crud. Oh well. Wish me luck. I'm taking this one slowly.

Here is a better picture of the wrinkle:

Cassiopeia 036.jpg

I sanded it down. Sprayed light coats. Got some slight re-wrinkling but not TOO bad:

Cassiopeia 038.jpg

Overall she looks nice primed:

Cassiopeia 037.jpg

Today, two days after the last prime coat, I sprayed Rustoleum white lacquer onto the nose area, the area where the dowels attach to the body tube, and the dowels themselves, out to their tips including the discs, as well as the dowel support fins. I didn't mask or anything; white overspray at this point won't be a problem over the white primer. There was no wrinkling or anything in the trouble spot described previously. The paint went on nicely and is already mostly dry with only residual roughness in that small area. I used two medium coats of the lacquer, about 20 minutes apart, in 80 degree weather with 48% relative humidity.

I won't have time to mask and paint blue the areas that I don't want to be white, until later this week.

I wasn't too sure about this design in the beginning, Wasn't really sure if I liked it, but after seeing all the photos, and different angle it has greatly grown on me, the more I see the more I like. It's another one of those "out side the box" designs that really interest me. I'm really curious about it's flight characteristics, make sure to post some good flight video.

Can't wait to see it painted.

Heh heh. Just put metallic blue lacquer over most of it half an hour ago. I think it will look nice when finished.

Definitely it will belong to the low and slow club, as it is very draggy. Unless I stick a D21 in it... :evil:

I am taking the finish slowly but will provide pics when I can.

Can't wait for her maiden voyage!

Marc

PS. This is I think the very last rocket I paint with rattle can for coats. I've waited for decent paint weather and could have had her finished a week ago if I had used my airbrush and acrylic paints. Trying to use up paints on hand.

Yesterday I used my patented "rubber dam sealing method" to paint the nose cone leaving the front part white, with the dividing line on a diagonal:

Cassiopeia 043.jpg

Don't worry about the rough edge; that will come off with a little buffing.

There's a thread about my search for the right material to accomplish this, over in the watering hole.

Meanwhile, this morning I thought I was going to have a nice block of alone time in the house so I started unmasking the rocket.

Cassiopeia 044.jpg

Unfortunately, I was insufficiently careful. The rocket slipped while I was unmasking some of the dowel/disc areas, and I heard a sickening crack. One of the dowels was broken! :y: :bang:

Cassiopeia 045.jpgCassiopeia 046.jpg

Could this herald an ignominious end to this build?

The answer is (excuse my language), "HECK NO!"

I chucked up a small dremel micro-bit and put a hole in both ends of the broken dowel surface, and cut a small brad to use as a support pin:

Cassiopeia 047.jpg

I considered various adhesives: Thick CA, Amazing Goop, and Epoxy. Eventually, I went with thick CA, mostly due to convenience and a gut feeling that I would probably be too messy with epoxy (I've had some bad experiences doing tactical repairs), and the amazing goop solvent was likely to make a mess of my paint job if it got on the wrong spot.

I used a tiny bit of spit as an accelerant: I licked the brad carefully, and shoved it in one hole, repeated again. Then I put a little drop of thin CA on the brad, and went in and out of the hole until I was certain it was full in there. Shoved the brad all the way in and mopped off the excess (this was on the broken off piece). Allowed to set for 2 hours and it was very solid. Repeated the procedure on the other side of the hole.

Cassiopeia 049.jpg

there will be some touch up with white, but the repair is effectively complete. I hope this works out; the alternative would have been to cut away more of the dowel on the dowel support fin, make and glue a new dowel, with new discs from SEMROC etc...

Yesterday, after the repair had cured, I spent some time doing some detail painting. Here she is in current form.

Overview:

Cassiopeia 050.jpg

The nose cone includes the white forward section just because I thought it would look cool, and a silver ("aluminum base" Auto Air by Createx) radar emitter up front. I did the silver just by dipping the tip into some paint, and letting the cone hang tip-down until dry.

Cassiopeia 051.jpg

The discs, which I consider to radar / sensor receivers, are hand-painted the same aluminum base color. I chose the dowels and dowel support fins to be white to give good contrast with the dark blue body.

Cassiopeia 052.jpg

The dowel tips are red for caution.

Cassiopeia 054.jpg

I'm a bit bummed that some areas of the body spiral showed through the paint... I had taken pains to fill them in. Not well enough, I suppose. Some of this is due to lacquer paint shrinking a bit as it dries, making such things a bit more prominent. But mostly I just didn't take enough care.

Next up: decals, and some Trim Monokote for the inside of the ringfin.

Last edited:
Today's work was to apply the decals. I invested in some of Sandman's finest. He did a great job reproducing the red and gold decal set and threw in a few extras just in case.

They went on smoothly with no fuss. However, I should have planned ahead because I didn't initially understand how some of them were supposed to line up. I should have started on the fin decals and worked forward. By the time I got back there it was too late to adjust the forward decals to match the back ones, which matter in terms of placement more than the front ones. Oops. But she's still a pretty bird:

Cassiopeia 055.jpg
Cassiopeia 056.jpg
Cassiopeia 057.jpg

That's bright orange trim monokote on the inside of the ring fin.

Last edited:
All that's left to do is clear coat it (I will use clear lacquer) and install the parachute. Oh, and then wait for actual flyable weather and time to get it in the air. This spring has been poor weather wise on the few days I've had time available to me to launch. :facepalm:

Cassie is complete, just waiting for me to pick a chute to rig into her. I'm thinking 14" for gentle landings and flight only in light winds.

I sprayed it with a few coats of Valspar High Gloss Clear Lacquer. Here are the results:

Cassiopeia 058.jpg
Cassiopeia 059.jpg
Cassiopeia 060.jpg
Cassiopeia 061.jpg

I'm pretty pleased with it. Can't wait to fly.

I'm mostly done building a BT5/20 downscale using a BT80 ringfin. I have some pictures and will post them here when I get a bit of time to do so.

Marc

Really nice. Quite an elaborate build and great paint and decals.

If you think of it, please film and post when you have a chance to fly it.

Back