Estes PS!! Concept

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas Rocketman

Reaction score
Well, I'm back in the swing of things kinda. Took a long vacation from building rockets and am getting ready for summer flying. I noticed Estes has a new design out called the Concept. It looks nice so I thought I'd buy one for my son's collection. Got to looking at the design and thought to myself that it would sure make a nice mid/high power rocket. So now I'm in the process of building a plan to modify the rocket to utilize G/H engines instead.

The balsa wings/fins will have to go for something stronger and stiffer to prevent flutter. The rocket will have to be laminated to strengthen the body tube and wings/fins. The motor mount will have to be redesigned to accept 29mm motors and utilize a quick change motor retainer. An ejection baffle will have to be incorporated as well I as hate using wadding. I'll also have to incorporate payload section to house an altimeter along with better a better parachute recovery system.

I am going to shoot for an altitude range of 2500 to 4000 ft. Shouldn't be hard to do. With the large wings, I'll have to keep the speed down, but need a long burn motor to get it to the desired altitude range. I'll have to create a rocksim file to get some flight/engine data on the rocket. As soon as I get everything engineered out like I want it, I'll post a parts list and a solid build plan. Can't wait to see this beast fly.

At that size you might get a good glide out of it also.......

Well, the PSII builder kits all use aircraft grade ply... Perhaps that's what you should use for your fins.

Yes, I am using aviation 1/8 inch plywood and laminating the fins/wings with fiberglass cloth and Aeropoxy laminating resin.

Back