Estes Polaris

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flying_silverad

Reaction score
Estes Polaris

I bought this kit about a month or so ago and just finished it’s second day of flying. It is an average skill level kit (sort of military looking) with very few plastic parts leaving the builder to really build! It’s a single stage rocket with a small upper payload stage that shares a common 18” parachute for recovery. The upper and lower stage both have a three-fin configuration.

Motor mount and Body Tube-
Nothing new and dramatic here except to say that I replaced the usual shock cord with a Kevlar thread that I tied and glued around the motor mount. I ran the thread under the forward centering ring of the motor mount and made it just long enough to extend out through the front of the BT (Body Tube). I then square knotted the shock cord to the thread. If you do this, you still have to take and soak the upper BT with CA to help prevent the “Zipper” effect or the infamous “Estes Dent”.

Fins-
Fin material supplied with the kit are die-cut balsa of awesome grade. No die-crushing here! Fins just needed a little shaping, filling and sanding. I use Elmer’s wood filler in a tube. It sands up nice and smooth and very little second application needed. OOPS! Looks like I installed the fins upside down. Well, to late now. You know…it kinda looks like an old Cherokee D configuration! The upper fins are small but go on easy. I made some real nice fillets with the Elmer’s filler. A wet finger leaves a nice smooth fillet!

Recovery-
What can you say? Nice pre-made parachute although you would think that whoever makes these for Estes could at least get all the shrouds the same length! I attached the shock cord to the upper payload area with a swivel and then the parachute to back side of that swivel with another swivel. I find that the shock cord and the parachute don’t get tangled as much as if I connected them both to the payload section.

Finish Work-
Krylon Primer the entire model and sand as needed. Spirals were not to bad the primer took care of them. Finished with the Krylon Bright Blue. I applied the decals, which are the self-sticking type. These came off the sheet nicely unlike some of their other kits I have done. I then coated with a three coats of Krylon clear and the rocket gleams!

Flying-
I thought I would start of with an A8-3 to be safe. Wind was 5-10. I hit the button and upside down fins and all it flied pretty straight with very little roll and slight weather-cocking (I really wish we could find another word here…). Successive flights included B4-4, B6-4, C6-5. A total of about six flights and the only wear was a slight dent in the upper BT. A great flying day.

Score
Materials and packaging-4.5
(The only reason it wasn’t a five is the shock cord. Needs to be bigger and they need to start using a Kevlar/shock cord combination)
Instructions-5.0
Building-5.0
Flying-5.0

Summary-
I really think this is going to be one of those rockets that you don’t here too much about like the Astron Drifter from the 70’s. It’s a great rocket that doesn’t get enough airtime so go out and buy one!
:kill:

I must say after 20 lauches or so, this is one of my favorite rockets that I use as a test vehicles for some of my products. It's flight is very consistent and I have has been great to try out new chutes and streamers of differing sizes and materials. The body tube is big enough that your not stuffing everthing in like my wifes suitcase on an overnoght trip:p
Anyway, if you have a chance to buy one these, I think they are great flyers!

Thanks Silver for the review.
I have about 4 or 5 of them just waiting for me. I think I'll start one tonite, I like having 2 or 3 in the building process.
I just finished your Cherokee, Corona, Brant 2 and now have a big daddy ready to finish.
Thanks for your kevlar string. I find myself incorporating it in all my models now.
Randy

Hey, I agree. This is an interesting design, but I feel that the graphic design actually detracts somewhat from the physical design. I picked up a few of these from Micheal's for $6.00 each!! Now I feel that I need to build one!

if anyone wants an HPR version, I did it in RockSim some time ago, but haven't built it yet.

Alan

:D I've got one that I've flown about a half dozen times. I have to agree, its a good flying model that I like alot. Usually fly it now everytime I go out.

Crashin J

I made a slight mod to the rocket in that the main fins are inverted. Could have been a subliminal Cherokee D brain cramp.
Then I really played with the old seal and sand from elmers on the whole rocket...I must have used a quarter of a tube. It still takes a lot of abuse and keeps right on flying.
Remember, they give you instructions to give you "guidance". Using a little common sense and creative freedom, play with the design...bashing can be fun.

The RockSim is on EMRR already...

We need to get this whole thing posted to EMRR with the pictures, too. And where are those 20 flight logs?

I've had my Polaris sitting there looking at me for a while. I need to get it going for spring. Too many rockets to build!

Nick

Originally posted by flying_silverad
Okay Okay! I'm heading to the basement. Will send pics shortly!

AHEM! ::cough::

::nudge nudge:: :D

Originally posted by flying_silverad
Okay Okay! I'm heading to the basement. Will send pics shortly!

Hmmm...seems that it's Monday, and your last post promised Sunday... So, to reiterate Kermie's statment...

Mark

Originally posted by Loopy
Hmmm...seems that it's Monday, and your last post promised Sunday... So, to reiterate Kermie's statment...

Mark

I got lost...the dog ate it...I ran out of gas...ahhhh...

Okay here's the Polaris and a Nike Smoke. Yes the main fins are on backwards. It's the Cherokee D in me!
DSCF0019.JPG

I kinda like the fins in that configuration. Great job!

Yeh, I like the bue color too! But the smoke is pretty neat too.

The Nike Smoke was so cheap ($4) that i put an "E" motor mount in it.

Don't worry I have more.

sandman

"Okay here's the Polaris and a Nike Smoke. Yes the main fins are on backwards. It's the Cherokee D in me!"

Ouch! That must have hurt. That Cherokee D nose cone is pointy, man!:D

I bought one of these at Hobby Lobby last week, but they've changed the name of it to the Guardian.

Originally posted by Fishhead
"Okay here's the Polaris and a Nike Smoke. Yes the main fins are on backwards. It's the Cherokee D in me!"

Ouch! That must have hurt. That Cherokee D nose cone is pointy, man!:D

I bought one of these at Hobby Lobby last week, but they've changed the name of it to the Guardian.

Yea but I'm taking asprin for it. Doc says it should "clear itself" as soon as spring hits.:D

Originally posted by Fishhead

The Guardian is very similar but has a split fin design in the back instead of the solid fin on the Polaris. I got one of each at different half off sales, but haven't had the opportunity to build either one yet.

I had to dig this thread back up because I picked up one of these (the Estes Polaris) on clearance at Michael's for $3.

Has anyone built one with a D engine mount yet?

Back