Estes motors/packs date codes or era?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sooner Boomer

Reaction score
I've recently taken possession of a bunch of old Estes engines. Before, I had only been able to look at them and take pictures. I'd like to find out the date of manufacture for the individual engines, or at least the era the packs were made (can't see actual date code on most).

Flight packs:
flight pack black.jpg flight pack 2.jpg

Blister packs:

cobra pack.jpg pink pack.jpg

I have another blister pack with a white backing card, no markings

Individual engines:

.date code 1.jpg
date code 2.jpg

date code 3.jpg

I know the answer to this one...
date code 4.jpg

I think there's one other style of date code, but I can't find it right now.

On the B14-5 on the bottom, of course, the date code is just as shown — though the fact that the date is in 1976 and it's simply a date, conflicts with the date reference I've used for years. A copy of that is attached here.

For the C6-7, using the code info attached gives a date of December 30, 1985, and for the older A8-3, February 25th, 1994.

The newer A8-3 is pretty much what you see, September 25th, 2006. Or at least that's how I understand that version of the dates to work.

As noted in your other old motor thread (blue diamond tubes discussion), for most all of them, as long as they haven't been heavily temperature-cycled beyond what you would find comfortable, just go fly 'em. I've flown 50-year-old Estes motors which have worked just fine.

Attachments

• Estes_date_codes one copy.pdf
    40.6 KB · Views: 2
Back