Estes Monarch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

txmike

Reaction score
Although the build is almost complete, still need a few more bands of paint, paint nose cone, decals, and clear-- I thought I would share some images of the project I am doing for my wife.

Patriarch (Monarch)
Stock Motor Mount
Florescent Pink Paint

The fins were prepped with 150 grit, 320 grit, sealed, and 320 then 600. They are darn smooth.

Primer / sanded, 4 times. All colors (Metal Flake Silver, Pink, and White) are 4 coats.

I also forgot the Launch Lug, whoops, had to splice that in there! Too many projects going on at once!

DSC02606sm.jpg

DSC02608sm.jpg

DSC02612sm.jpg

DSC02614sm.jpg

DSC02615sm.jpg

I am not the best painter or builder by any means, and I am still learning. But I think it came out good so far.

DSC02625sm.jpg

DSC02626sm.jpg

DSC02627sm.jpg

I think it's looking pretty darn good!

Incidentally, if that Coke were a beer or martini, it'd look a lot like my work surface.

Last edited:
I think it's looking pretty darn good!

Incidentally, if that Coke were a beer or martini, it'd look a lot like my work surface.

The cooler is next to my shop toolbox to the right. :D

I normally do not put drinks on the work surface as the condensation will soak into the wood. Most of the drinks on the table are old ones my wife takes out of her car and leaves there.

Looks like you have the grain going the the wrong way on the fins. It should run parallel to the leading edge, not the root edge.

I would reinforce them before you fly it,

Looks like you have the grain going the the wrong way on the fins. It should run parallel to the leading edge, not the root edge.

I would reinforce them before you fly it,

I just cut the fins out however Estes had them cut. If it fails I will let them know.

They have 5-6 coats of dope on them and CA on the edges.

I just cut the fins out however Estes had them cut. If it fails I will let them know.

They have 5-6 coats of dope on them and CA on the edges.
The fins were cut correctly - they are intended to be attached the other way around.

Monarch_Fins.jpg

Well crap, I'll have to check that out tonight.

Oh well, it'll still fly!

It would take me a few hours of work to get the fins off. Prep the root edge, prep body tube, and re-paint the tail.

Sigh.

Perfect example as to why you should use the instructions. (I was wondering why the fin bottom edge was not square with the table.)

And unless someone knows a better method, the only way I know to get fins off is with heat and a blade.

I have heard circumstantially that vinegar will dissolve yellow glue.

Is it worth it to you to correct this simple oversight that we've all made at one time or another? Especially since you've done such a nice job on the paint.

I'd be inclined to leave it alone and just chalk it up to experience. If the fin(s) snap, you can always repair them.

I've used vinegar to dissolve wood glue. Dab it on with a q-tip, let sit for a few minutes, scrape off to expose deeper glue. Dab, sit, scrape. Repeat until done.

But I agree, let it be and chalk it up as a lesson. Or you could paper the fins for strength, but I'd just let'em be.

I've used vinegar to dissolve wood glue. Dab it on with a q-tip, let sit for a few minutes, scrape off to expose deeper glue. Dab, sit, scrape. Repeat until done.

But I agree, let it be and chalk it up as a lesson. Or you could paper the fins for strength, but I'd just let'em be.

This makes a lot of sence.
Cheers
fred

I would paper them with 8.5x11 self stick computer labels. This adds a lot of strength without adding a lot of weight. Just trace the fin onto the sheet; I would make it a little smaller. Before you stick it sand the fin to rough it up a bit so that the adhesive has something other that paint to stick to, then go over it with a tack cloth to make sure that there is NO sanding dust left.

If you really want be thorough you could then seal the edges with thin CA, or if you sanded the fins down to bare wood, diluted wood glue so, that the paper won't lift over time.

You could use the paper as a design element, aka a decal. It could be left white, or you could decorate them before you stick it down.

Latest posts

Back