Estes Models Listed Weight vs Your Build Weight

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How does your finished weight of Estes kits compare with Estes listed weight?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
For those of you who paint or otherwise finish their models (and excluding RTF models where no finishing is done) and who weigh their models, how does your finished weight compare with the facecard?

If I remember I weigh before I fill seams and prime, then after, then a third time after I finish painting and decals including recovery gear. Typically I’m within 5% of the facecard weight but not always - I have a few rockets the built out substantially heavier than the projected weight. I always weigh after completion though, so I can at least do a sim on Thrustcurve.

For those of you who paint or otherwise finish their models (and excluding RTF models where no finishing is done) and who weigh their models, how does your finished weight compare with the facecard?

Very much varies by model, and the qualify of finish (paint or vinyl wraps) I apply.
I found that applying vinyl wraps not only delivers superb visual finish, but also saves weight!

The best is my Estes Mercury Redstone #1921, which almost matched advertised weight within 3% of target (108g vs. 104.9g advertised).
The worst was my Estes StrikeFighter #2015, where I exceeded advertised weight by +47g or +70% above target: https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/estes-strikefighter-2015-build.150611/#post-1860408

a

I do weigh most as I build and when finished they do vary between a little under and a little over so average at "nearly the same". Question though...Does it state anywhere on the packaging or wherever that the estimated weight is with or without recovery? Although Estes recovery stuff is pretty light.

For funsies I've purchased 4 copies of the same bird and weighed each component. We all know there can be substantial variance on the Balsa, but I've also had nosecones that were pretty dramatically overweight.

I brought a Big Daddy in -underweight-, pretty proud of that one.

Back