Estes Mercury Atlas Slow Motion Video

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That was WAY KEWL... :cool:

LOVE the soundtrack... where'd you get it and how did you marry it up to the vid??

I used to do this kind of thing back in the late 80's with an old VHS camcorder in "edit" mode dubbing to a digital Toshiba (cutting edge for that day and time) VHS VCR... first dub was slo-mo from the Toshiba to the camcorder, then the second dub inserted the soundtrack from "Man's Greatest Adventure" (the only space-related documentary I had at the time... narragated by Orson Welles himself!) onto the slo-mo video, which I had carefully timed to coincide "liftoff" with the rocket leaving the pad in slo-mo... (OF course relying only on the "counters" of the VCR/camcorder and so if I counted right it'd turn out right, if not... it'd be off somewhat).

Primitive but back in the day it made you feel like a TV producer! I want to get into this kind of stuff-- the computer really opens up the floodgates for doing this sort of thing, but the primitive state of my computer abilities and computer's general hostility towards me has dissuaded me thus far from trying...

GREAT vid... :) You aught to do a "how to" article sometime... (heck you can even get PAID for it if it's accepted by Apogee)
Later! OL JR :)

I got the audio from the National Archives. I chopped it up to go with the launch video. The long pause toward the end is historically correct as all communication was lost after reentry. Glen's last transmit-ion on this video was recorded on-board the capsule. The Video was shot with a casio ex fc-100 at 210 frames per second without audio. The atlas launch audio was recorded on another camera shooting at 30 frames per second, that audio was then slowed down 7x to match the 210 frames per second video which is played back at 30 frames per second. I used Audacity sound editing software for slowing the audio. I used Pinnacle Studio 12 and windows movie maker for the video editing.

Last edited:
Very nice. Thanks for the info regarding the audio. I have an exhibit this spring that I wanted to have a looping sound track of radio chatter and this would be perfect!

Very nice. Thanks for the info regarding the audio. I have an exhibit this spring that I wanted to have a looping sound track of radio chatter and this would be perfect!

Your welcome, and thanks for the compliment

I got the audio from the National Archives. I chopped it up to go with the launch video. The long pause toward the end is historically correct as all communication was lost after reentry. Glen's last transmit-ion on this video was recorded on-board the capsule. The Video was shot with a casio ex fc-100 at 210 frames per second without audio. The atlas launch audio was recorded on another camera shooting at 30 frames per second, that audio was then slowed down 7x to match the 210 frames per second video which is played back at 30 frames per second. I used Audacity sound editing software for slowing the audio. I used Pinnacle Studio 12 and windows movie maker for the video editing.

Cool... thanks for the info, even though it is above my pay grade... :)

Later! OL JR :)

Back