Estes Guardian bulk packaging #1779

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZoomieG

Reaction score
Background: I recently got back into the hobby, and have been trying to track down some of the kits I remember from my youth. One of those I never had was a Nova Payloader. While this kit has seen several Re-issues, the most recent one has a different part number, and is a bulk issue kit that can be bought singly from several online suppliers. I noticed immediately when I received the kit that one of the parts seemed “off”. The nose cone from the original was the widely used PNC-50YR (part # 72604), which is 4.1” long. The one included in the most recent Re-issue is #72703. This cone is 4 5/8”, and can be found on many of the current BT-50 RTF models. Unfortunately, this newer cone just doesn’t look right on the classic model.

Since discovering this, I’ve noticed that many currently available kits that are reissues of kits from the 80s and 90s that used the 50YR are now using the newer cone, and have had their model number changed (likely due to the changed cone). Comanche 3, Super Nova Payloader, and Super Neon are three examples. In fact,it seems like the 50YR has been replaced in all the kits that used to use it.

Which gets me back to my title. While browsing acsupplyco, I noticed the Guardian was available both singly and in bulk. However, the kit number is now either 1717 or 1779, instead of the original’s 2179. The pictures all still show the rocket with the original nose cone shape. The different model number may just be because it’s bulk/uncarded, but I suspect it also has the newer cone. After all, why would all those others models change if Estes was still putting 50YRs in the Guardian kits?

So can anyone that has the new bulk kit (1717/1779) verify which cone is included? I’ve attached a photo to help. The cone on the far left is the original 50YR. The two on the right are the newer 4 5/8” cone.

Thanks.

Attachments

• 4B92D215-F149-4E7E-9809-43C17B8FC254.jpeg
    4B92D215-F149-4E7E-9809-43C17B8FC254.jpeg
    79.1 KB · Views: 4
Good question. Not sure about the nose cones, but extra points if you kit-bash that and convert it to a gap-stager, just might be enough room for a 13mm mount at the transition...and a rear-eject streamer?

Unfortunately, EST3162 no longer contains the 50YR. Although many sellers still have old stock photos showing the previous version with three 50YRs and two 50Ks, the contents were changed several years ago to what you see below.

Attachments

• EAE4B557-E024-42F5-B73E-32598007838B.jpeg
    EAE4B557-E024-42F5-B73E-32598007838B.jpeg
    80.1 KB · Views: 3
Any mom and pop type of hobby shops in your area? If so check them out for old stock.

The bulk Guardian, like the bulk Nova Payloader, will have the longer nose cone.

As a practical matter it’s not a big deal (at least with Nova Payloader). They fly the same and even standing side-by-side the difference isn’t too egregious (in my opinion). I’d take a picture but I’m at a meet, not at home. That said, I could stage a picture tomorrow as I have one older Nova Payloader with me as well as two built mostly from the current bulk kit. One of those made it’s 74th and 75th flights today, on a D16-6FJ and a D10-7W.

The bulk Nova Payloader also returns to waterslide decals (but the waterslides are of the finer-lined artwork of the peel-n-stick markings of the second and third releases of the kit under P/N 1960). Othewise it is identical to the previours release.

Where have you seen the Super Nova Payloader?

Artwork is often woefully out of date. The poster child for this is the Alpha. Only very recently, and even then not consistently, has the artwork be updated to show the nose cone shape that changed in 1993.

Last edited:
BEC,

Thanks for the detailed reply. There are actually a number of rockets from the '80s & '90s I was looking at cloning, and the bulk packs seemed like a way to get the required nose cone. To me, the 72703 nose cone looks different enough that the whole rocket looks wrong. One of the first purchases I made when getting back into the hobby this summer was a Hi-Jinks/Rascal starter set. In the box art, and every catalog appearance (even their first chrome scheme), those two rockets have a PNC-50YR nose cone shape. It is likely they originally did, as I've seen them listed among 50YR kits in forum posts. However, mine both had the 72703, and it changes the whole look of the rocket.

Fortunately, since starting this thread, I've learned that Apogee's PNC-24C is a close match to the 50YR shape.

As far as the Super Nova Payloader, I mixed up the name. I was referring to the SuperNova (#2011/7248). The current version can be found on the Estes website here: https://estesrockets.com/product/007248-super-nova/

I hear you on the artwork, though. I have noted at least two rockets (Rascal from above being one) that are depicted with three fins in all artwork, even the card/box, even though the model has four fins. Stratocruiser is the other.

Back