Estes Fin Alignment Guide

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tommy

Reaction score
I just got one and am wondering what the purpose of wraping the tubes that hold the rocket body with tape? Oh, and notching out one end of the inside of the tubes? Doesnt make any sense to me.

Last edited:
Err? Not following you.

Can you post the part of the instructions you're talking about? Or a scan of the sheet?

Are you talking about the gray upright fin alignment thing with the clips to hold the fins to the plastic upright "fins", or the yellow angle tool with the fin slot?

-Ken

I also just picked one up. I opened it last night to look over the instructions. As far as I can tell, the tape is to keep those tubes tight so that they and the rocket don't spin around while you're working. And I think the notch is to make easier to slide the tube into the one the next size up. Basically, a notch and sanding on the end so you can get it inside the larger tube, the tape so that once it's in the tube, it doesn't spin around.

That's the way I took it anyway. I'm not sure I'll need the tape, as it is a real tight fit as is.

That's the way I took it anyway. I'm not sure I'll need the tape, as it is a real tight fit as is.

Thats exactly why I was wondering about the tape, mine are so snug I don't think I could get one layer of tape around any of the tubes. If you have to sand and notch the tubes to slide them together how are you gonna get layers of tape in there? I think the instructions should elaborate a little.
Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Back