Estes - Fat Boy (#2139) Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finished it. And here it is next to my next Fat Boy project... a Polecat Aerospace 5.5" dia Fat Man.

TresFatBoy.JPG

TresFatBoy0019 - Copy.JPG

My level 3 attempt LDRS 27. Called "Fat Albert"
12" Diameter
60lbs on the pad
M2030

MC-LDRS27-031[1].jpg

Mike

Thanks, don't know if you can tell in that photo. The purple on the nose cone & the lite blue on the body tube that drops down to the red diamonds, all was done with fishnet to look like scales.

Okay - now I can see the scales right above the sun reflection. That is so cool!

Mine is well used..

Not the best shot, but a pic none the less!

Built stock.

I have one built with a 24mm mount, not flown yet..

If your fatboys can have 5 motors, mine can have 5 fins! Slightly different fin shape, but a fatboy in spirit. Theres a single 18mm motor mount, and the launch lug is embedded in one of those super thick fillets.
It's going on its maiden launch this friday, if the wind gets below 10mph and the temperatures above -10c.

Attachments

• IMGP9311-2.jpg
    IMGP9311-2.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 51
stock fatboy 4 x 18mm mount

finishedflames.jpg

4x18cluster.jpg

Last edited:
Fatboy 29mm Mount with adjustable nose weight ,Has flown up to G80

9e92956e.jpg

Fatboy29.jpg

insidenose.jpg

businessend.jpg

FBnose.jpg

FBfinhue.jpg

FBclearside.jpg

banner.jpg

7.5" Fatboy drag race, NYPOWER 13. Mine is off the pad first, on the Skidmark K motor. (photo by Chris Prinzi).

Wow, that looks like an absolutely spectacular launch! I wish I could have been there for that.

Built this a little while ago. Estes FatBoy kit but finished different. The decals have a bunch of history packed in them thinking of my father who passed with my mother in an accident. It gave me a fun & memorable afternoon to go down memory lane.

My Dad was a school teacher of physics, calculus, computer science. He was also an avid bee-keeper.

1.) The BEE goes out to him as a bee-keeper
2.) The formula was one he always muttered in class because it made him sound vastly smarter than the students. Students loved him.
3.) The "SAVE THE HONEY CREAMER" were the desperate words shouted as my Grandfather's honey shed caught fire and was burning to the ground. The creamer was my Grandfather's invention made from a meat grinder and to this day I have never found better creamed honey. The creamer was all that was saved at that time.
4.) The "ESTES" logo was modified to say REIL - our family name.

There you have my memory lane for the day ~ hope I did not bore you. :)

FatBee_1.jpg

FatBee_2.jpg

FatBee_3.jpg

My son built a Fat Boy with a 38mm mount about 12 years ago. It's flown about 7 times now on I435's and I284's. We flew it on an Ex load last year...for old times sake. We still have it and it's still flyable.

estes%20fat%20boy.jpg

Tony

Here are pictures of my 7.5" and 4" Fat Boys. :D

Post copied to gallery with permission

5.9FatboyFOTF11EM.jpg

Attachments

• BOB Launch 2010 002.web.jpg
    BOB Launch 2010 002.web.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
I've built a lot of Fat Boys. They're one of my favorites. It's a great design to play with. I've built them stock, with 3x24mm, with 29mm, and two-stage - 24mm to 18mm. I've even built a Baby Boy from a Baby Bertha kit.
If I could figure out how to post pictures, I'd show what I have. Many though, have either found new homes or gotten stuck in clouds.

I flew the canted engine cluster FatBoy from Post #31 on 3 C6-5's today. Luckily all three lit - otherwise it probably would have been a disaster.

7May20110031.jpg

A much better shot courtesy of Alan Estenson.....

tres fat boy 1 - Copy.JPG

This one is a Polecat 5.5" dia FatMan from What's Up Hobbies. It has a 54mm mount with a PML HAMR and a 54/38 HAMR Adapter. The parachute is a custom-made red and blue 36" hemisphere made by Chutes by Boe. Stickers are from StickerShock. Unfortunately the color of the fins matched perfectly with the blue fin stickers, so I reordered them in a darker blue to stand out a bit.....

FatMan0014 - Copy.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine is stock except for a modified Semroc BT-80 baffle assembly (shortened the baffle tubes) and use of a smaller-than-supplied parachute. It is the prime consumer of my stash of C5-3s.

IMG_0692.jpg

That joker has got to go home with a first prize for something...

Thanks, Model!

Here is another one I just finished. It is a refurb of a 6 year old FatBoy that has many flights.

Structurally I reinforced the old Fins with a layer of CA, and I replaced the old rubber band Shock Cord with Kevlar that passes through both Centering Rings and wraps around the Motor Hook.

There are no stickers on this. It is all paint. The lettering masks and flame masks were all cut from Frisket Film. It has a lot of mistakes on it but it looks akay at 15 feet away, and it served as a good practice test bed to try new techniques and learn a little about masking and airbrushing.

The flames are a fade from Createx fluorescent orange to fluorescent magenta (That was my first mistake - the magenta didn't have enough contrast with the red on the body). The blue lettering on the Fins is Createx Irridescent Electric Blue. The light blue on the Fins is the Irridescent Blue mixed with Createx Opaque White. The lettering on the Body is Jacquard Metallic White and Metallic Silver. And the Body was covered in Jacquard Metallic Red. The flames were outlined with a Sharpie Paint Pen.

DSCF3025.jpg

Hey! I've made one of those too! Thanks for the design.

Mine has three exhaust holes to vent the ejection charges. (I retain the
motor).

Nice idea, Brian. I wonder if I have that leftover noodle somewhere.....

I flew this 5.5" diam Polecat Fat Man today on an I218R...

Jeff Fat Boy 1.JPG

Launch0025.jpg

Launch0026.jpg

Launch0027.jpg

Thanks, Keith. My daughter snapped those up using a FujiFilm camera. Oddly, the red flame from the Redline motor looked white in the pictures.:confused:

Jeff GREAT ROCKETS. I love the flame job!! If you need masks I can hook you up!!

while we are doing fat boys heres my 10" on a lL959 Imax..

DSC_8357.jpg

DSC_8358.jpg

DSC_8360.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back