Estes Executioner glue question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill S

Reaction score
I'm in the process of building my Estes Executioner. Quick question: I installed the motor mount with 30 minute epoxy, seems solid. I'm wondering if I can get by with using Elmers Carpenter Wood glue to attach the fins and fillet them. I have trouble getting my epoxy fillets to look decent, even using the popsicle stick trick, etc. I will be using up to Estes F engines, probably nothing more powerful than that (as well as Aerotech E composites). Worst case, maybe some Aerotech F composites. The fins are "papered" with 65lb card stock.

Thoughts on whether or not the fins attached with the wood glue would be solid enough to handle said engines?

Last edited:
I used wood glue for my entire build. Use e and f composite motors with no issues. Didn't paper the fins either.

be careful with "papering" the fins. You've just added a lot of weight aft. Check your cg vs cp relationship.

be careful with "papering" the fins. You've just added a lot of weight aft. Check your cg vs cp relationship.

Thanks. I've been using Rocksim to sim the rocket; I put in a BT-60 stuffer tube, so that helps add some weight.

On a 3FNC as big and heavy as the Executioner I wouldn't expect fin papering to have a noticeable much effect on CG, but it is something in general to keep in mind when papering fins (especially on lighter LPR models, or those with more fins).

I created some custom materials in OR for papered balsa, so it gets factored into CG calculations right from the get-go, and I don't "forget" to take it into account.

I'm in the process of building my Estes Executioner. Quick question: I installed the motor mount with 30 minute epoxy, seems solid. I'm wondering if I can get by with using Elmers Carpenter Wood glue to attach the fins and fillet them.

Thoughts on whether or not the fins attached with the wood glue would be solid enough to handle said engines?

You'll be fine using yellow glue. I built a "stock" Fat Boy with paper body tube and centering rings, plastic nose cone, and balsa fins - using yellow glue. Oh yeah, with a 29mm motor mount (paper). Except for a hard landing on a parking lot that broke a fin (not the glue's fault), it all held together fine.

Back