Estes Executioner engine question?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EvilErik

Reaction score
I know Estes lists the recommended engines for the executioner as D12-3,E9-4 and E9-6, but is it possible to launch this rocket on any of the C11's? I'm asking because i came across a source for the C11's. I also reaslise the max lift weight listed for these engines is lower then the executioners weight. just curious if it's possible to launch it with these or if anyone here has tried it on the C11's. also I wasn't sure if i should put it in this section since it was about a C engine and a rocket that can be run on E's .

I wouldn't try it. It would definitely fly on a C11-3, but it wouldn't go to any decent altitude. You'd be lucky to get 150 feet out of it...

IMO, estes' recommended lift off weight for their motors is a little liberal; that is, I think that they say their engines can lift a little more than they can (or at least should) in real life. That's my personal belief, anyway, YMMV. As for flying an Executioner on a C11... I really wouldn't try it. For the above reason, and for what cjl alreay said... the performance on a D isn't overly spectacular, and a C would just be scary it would be so low on apogeee/deployment. Also consider that estes' weight for the kit is likely a dry, unbuilt weight. By the time you build yours with glue, primer, paint etc, you are likely to end up with a somewhat higher finished weight that a C11 really won't push at a safe airspeed.

Don't do the C11. Get a 24mm RMS and fly it on an E18 instead!!! Mine loves those! Great flights on F24 as well.

Originally posted by Loopy
Get a 24mm RMS and fly it on an E18 instead!!! Mine loves those! Great flights on F24 as well.

Both great motors for the Executioner.
Here's mine on an F24.

C11's are only good if you want a heartattack. Yes they will work but you'd probably be close to the ground and have some major zippering. I usually use D12-3s to test mods and to just give it a low altitude flight. Here's a picture of it on a E15 AP motor over Christmas.

The best Executioner flight I've ever seen was on a G75J-M. Lots-o-smoke and great altitude. Totally, totally cool.

Of course, it required a 29mm conversion.

As for me? I've got 3 Executioners in their unopened packaging and have yet to build one. But, intuitively and because of my experience with other rockets of similar size, I too strongly recomend NOT using a C11 in your Executioner.

The E-9 is a good motor for this as well. And F21's, oh dang it they are DC'd. Oh well, I've got one I'm going to make 38mm. hehehe

I've flown it on E9's, but only in calm wind. I prefer E30's. I've never even tried a D12.

I put a 24mm triple cluster in mine. Launching it on 3 D12-5's or D12-7's is a great sight!!

Back