Estes Cougar Upscale

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Curtis

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I've got the parts to build a 2.6 X 44" Cougar. However, I'm wondering if BT80 body is stout enough for a rocket this size. Any thoughts. Probably won't fly it on anything bigger than an F.

I think it would launch just fine. Recovery could pose more danger to it, but the biggest danger is always handling and storage and carrying it around. I wasn't familiar with the Cougar so I looked for a photo. I have an old Executioner that I still launch, it even survived a launch where the chute wasn't ejected. The rocket is so light for it size that once the nose cone was off it fell on its side relatively slowly and wasn't damaged when it hit soft grass. My first impression is that the Cougar at 2.6" diameter would be about 50% longer than the Executioner. I think it would fly just fine, even with an F. Consider that other real long rocket that people fly- the Mean Machine. Those seem to do OK.
I'm currently building a rocket the size of the Executioner, but with dual 24mm mounts. This brings up another question for you- I extended my motor mounts halfway up the airframe to function as stuffer tubes, how long are you planning your motor mount to be? I think an internal stuffer tube helps to make the airframe stronger. The Executioner doesn't have a payload section, I think if you build a significantly longer rocket it should be built with a payload section and that helps to make the airframe stronger too by reducing the length of any piece of unsupported tube. Another thing you could do is to put some couplers inside any part of the airframe that you thought should be strengthened.

I've got the parts to build a 2.6 X 44" Cougar. However, I'm wondering if BT80 body is stout enough for a rocket this size. Any thoughts. Probably won't fly it on anything bigger than an F.
BT80 is stong enough for a G and maybe an low H.

I think it would launch just fine. Recovery could pose more danger to it, but the biggest danger is always handling and storage and carrying it around. I wasn't familiar with the Cougar so I looked for a photo. I have an old Executioner that I still launch, it even survived a launch where the chute wasn't ejected. The rocket is so light for it size that once the nose cone was off it fell on its side relatively slowly and wasn't damaged when it hit soft grass. My first impression is that the Cougar at 2.6" diameter would be about 50% longer than the Executioner. I think it would fly just fine, even with an F. Consider that other real long rocket that people fly- the Mean Machine. Those seem to do OK.
I'm currently building a rocket the size of the Executioner, but with dual 24mm mounts. This brings up another question for you- I extended my motor mounts halfway up the airframe to function as stuffer tubes, how long are you planning your motor mount to be? I think an internal stuffer tube helps to make the airframe stronger. The Executioner doesn't have a payload section, I think if you build a significantly longer rocket it should be built with a payload section and that helps to make the airframe stronger too by reducing the length of any piece of unsupported tube. Another thing you could do is to put some couplers inside any part of the airframe that you thought should be strengthened.
I believe my motor mount tube is 12" It will have a payload section.

Latest posts

Back