Estes Big "E" SpaceShip One available at eHobbies!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKTurbo

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
It looks like the big SpaceShip One kits are here!

eHobbies has them listed as 'in-stock'....ooohhh do I want one, but I'm going to have to get used to that $44.99 price.

https://www.ehobbies.com/est2196.html

It may be cheaper to build my own.....who do I know that can make some nose cone?!? :D

O.k., who's going to build the 1/15th scale White Knight to loft it?

They also show the new E motor Big Daddy in stock too.

I definately want this new Maxi SpaceshipOne.:D

I might build it to fly on AT 24mm motors, I'm sure the new E15s would be ideal for it.

The E28s, E30s and F39s would probably rip the booms off though. I think I would stick to Blackjack and White Lightning loads for this one.;)

Yes, probably. And you can expect that this will be a collectible kit that goes for $200-300 after about ten more years.
Estes did this before. They had a maxi-series of D and E rocket kits that retailed for way too much (Super Bertha, Maxi Patriot, Pershing, etc). Nobody bought them. The kits went out of production. Now that they are not available, people want them again and are willing to pay crazy prices on ebay. Go figure.

Yea Powder,I agree, I'll wait to see some feedback before I make the plunge

won't be long

I can't afford one after buying an Executioner.:( I would like to get a Big Daddy. I have a regular SS1 on the way, I think I will wait until I have that before considering the bigger one.

I hope this kit doesn't have the stability issues that the standard kit had when it was first released.

An unstable model on an E9, well, let's just say things could turn ugly very quickly.:eek:

I plan to get one and test it to death before flying. We lost our son's SS1 at NARAM, even with the extra nose weight. I'm just taking a guess that the wings aren't going to be balsa, maybe vacuform plastic. Otherwise that's probably too much lumber for an E9 to lift safely. This one's asking for an E15 or F21.

The problem with scale kits that are built from airplane-like designs is that they want to fly like airplanes, and demand an awful lot of attention to trim and CG. Check the Vatsaas bros. website, Brad made a similar-size SS1 on F20 power to test their concept for their big hybrid R/C version. He had some stability issues as well.

details have been posted on r.m.r. about airframe/wing materials and packaging in the box.

Fred,

Linky?

Preferably Google, if possible.

Thanks,
Jason

So much for using AT motors in this one.:rolleyes:

I will definately wait to see how others like this model before I lay down the money for one.

A big chunk of foam in a shiny box....yuck.

Sounds more like a collector kit than a builder/flyer. Bummer. If the decals (hopefully NOT stickers) are decent they could be used on a scratch built.

Who do I know that can make some SS1 parts?!?! hmmmmmm :D

I was ready to stock up on this kit at the store when I came across the post at RMR. I was really surprised that Estes decided to make the kit out of foam. I plan on waiting for some user reviews before I order some.

Best regards,
Brian

Hopefully soon, someone from around here will either post pics of the kit parts or even better yet, start a construction thread on this thing.

As of right now, this kit is turning me off. It'll probably be like the one included in the SS1 launch set, just bigger of course.

I wouldn't pass on it, merely because it's styrofoam.

For one thing, it *may* be EPP foam, which looks like styrofoam but is so tough that many R/C airplanes (like combat planes and slope soarers, which endure lots of punishment) are made from it.

Second, even if it's styrofoam, so what? Believe it or not styrofoam is easily repairable with plain old WHITE GLUE, which produces an invisible repair that's stronger than the original foam. I modified a couple of Guillow's styrofoam space shuttles as piggyback gliders, one of which I sliced apart to install R/C gear, then reassembled with while glue.

How many cardboard and balsa rockets can you put back into flyabale condition, just by sticking the broken pieces together with white glue, and have them look good as new?

I received my son's SS1 E from eHobbies today. The foam unfortunately does not look any better than a cheap 99 cent cooler. Here are a some pictures.

The instructions say to use white silicone adhesive for the foam body.
I don't know about this one. We are going to give a demo launch at my son's High School next week to see how much interest there is for TARC. I think we will give this a test flight before that so we don't embarrass ourselves in front of the whole school!!

Lamar

Thanks for posting those. This looks like it will be an awesome model when it's finished but I do plan to wait to see how others feel about theirs before I get one myself.

I wonder if Estes intentionally made this out of foam to keep people from using AT motors in it.;)

Being made out of mostly foam, it should be light enough to allow exceptable flight performance with an E9.

Something tells me that it would probably be a good idea to be by yourself when you attempt the maiden flight.

I also think foam safe CA would be an excellent alternative.

Maybe some talented, enterprising soul will use the foam parts as a mold for a fiberglass shell...HMM??? I'd pay money for that. It'd make a real nice F20-sized kit.

Again, see the Vatsaas brother's website: www.vatsaas.org/rtv.

For anyone who has the large “E” powered Space Ship One kit, and a scale:

What is the weight for the airframe parts?

That would be the styrofoam parts and the nose cone. Not the engine mount parts, stuffer tube, recovery system, clay for noseweight, or anything else inside.

- George Gassaway

I'd like to modify one for the Sky Ripper Systems 29mm G hybrid motor.... I'm sure it could be done...

Space Ship One is supposed to fly on a hybrid..... :eek:

:)

Now Todd that would be way cool... throw in some Rc gear ....and you would have the world first hybrid powered Boost Glider.....

Back