Erik Gates for Tripoli BOD

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Porthos II

Reaction score
I guess the time to start campaigning has come for the Tripoli BOD! Below is my resume submitted to the election committee.

Erik Gates
2006 Tripoli BOD Candidate

ERIK GATES
TRA # 8273
Level 3

I’m Erik Gates; you may have seen me on Master Blasters launching a playhouse and/or a Mini Cooper. Or on Mythbusters helping Jamie and Adam bust rocket related myths. You also might have seen the 1/10 scale Saturn 1B project we are currently building with the ROC club. Proud builder and flyer of Porthos II and the Jayhawk. I guess I am having way too much fun as a Tripoli member!

Like most of you, I am a BAR that started flying model rockets as a kid. We grew up in Southern California in the '60s and '70s right smack in the middle of the aerospace industry. Dad was an engineer with TRW for over 20 years. He worked on the first lunar lander, the Pioneer space probe—and on model rockets with his four sons at the kitchen table. The Sepulveda Dam recreation area was our range. My brother Dirk and I were the serious rocket nerds and we had fun building complex rockets together.

Years went by; we grew up, married, had kids of our own. Though my father passed on and Southern California is no longer the aerospace community it once was, Dirk and I still were fascinated with space and rocketry. So it's no wonder that almost as soon as the kids were old enough to push a button, we had them building rockets. I was the first back into the sport and soon pulled Dirk in as well.

We were frequent customers at Marty's Hobbies in Thousand Oaks, constantly buying more B, C, & D motors. One day we noticed the F & G Aerotech motors right next to the Estes motors. Our curiosity piqued, we walked out of the store with an Aerotech Initiator Kit. We were in rocket heaven! Then we happened across a copy of High Power Rocketry Magazine at the hobby store. We marveled at the sizes of the rockets and the huge motors. We had to get into this. Dirk joined Tripoli immediately, but once again, I made the real first move. For Dirk's birthday I bought him a PML Sudden Rush. Turnabout is fair play, and for my birthday later that same summer Dirk bought me a PML Nimbus. We were on our way.

Dirk received his Tripoli election materials in the mail and noticed that his long time friend and mentor, Ken Biba, was a member of Tripoli, too, and he was already certified level 3. The next time they chatted, Ken agreed to meet us at ROCstock XI and show us the ropes. So we dug out the rockets and headed out to the launch. We were overwhelmed when we got there. But Ken quickly lined us up with the essentials; black powder, lube, and our first motor reload. Dirk got his Sudden Rush in the air at that launch, and although he didn't get his level 1 certification, we were hooked.

The next few launches Dirk and I did our level 1 and 2 flights on dual deploy, electronic deploy rockets! We were not certing to get the certifications, we were certing on rockets we wanted to fly. We loved the ability to get rockets back, rather than watching them float away into the distance.

I have enjoyed the camaraderie that the rocket launches have brought into my life. The friendships that I have gained through high power rocketry will last my lifetime. I would like to give back to the rocketry community, and serving on the TRA BOD I think would be a way that I could accomplish this goal.

I think TRA has come a long way the last few years in opening communications between the BOD and the members, freeing itself from the frustrating magazine issue. I would enjoy helping TRA to continue down this path, and would like to keep communication open and flowing between the BOD and members. I would like to push the magazine proposal forward, as the reason I am here today is because of an HPR magazine I found on the newsstand. I feel we need to get an HPR magazine back on the newsstands if we want to continue to grow and expand high power rocketry!

I personally would like to work on the California issues that plague the flyers and motor manufacturers wanting to sell their motors in my home state. I was a critical player while running RocketSilo in getting the fees lowered in California and feel that was only a start. I still feel the California restrictions are far too burdensome on the flyers. I have helped start a CSFM committee, with the help of other southern California rocket enthusiasts, and would like to see some resolve on the rocketry restrictions in California.

I strongly support the motor certification process we have in place and I think that it is doing a good job of making sure the consumer gets what they paid for. When I started flying high power rockets there was only one major motor supplier, now we have close to a dozen choices for motors. Obviously the process is not too burdensome to overcome and I would like to see those choices expand even more in the future.

I also would like to see the experimental end of TRA expand and the envelopes pushed. I have enjoyed the ability to build and fly rockets that push the envelope of rocketry as we know it today, and hope to continue to do so. I think it is important to expand our horizons, to add to the list of approved motor types for experimental rocketry, and continue to be a leader in the high power rocketry arena.

I hope to see electronic voting for TRA elections, and would like to help in any way possible to accomplish this goal.

Our most pressing issue is the BATF regulation. This issue needs to be resolved for high power rocketry to expand and grow as I would like to see. I would work with the board to continue to fight the regulations, and help resolve this issue.

Personal

I am presently an Electrical Contractor and have been licensed in the State of California since 1994.

Married to my best friend, Beth - August 3rd, 2005

Father of three, and have had custody of my children for 14 years – Jessica 18, Ashley 16, and David 15.

Live in Thousand Oaks, Ventura County, California

43 years old

In conclusion, I would like to thank you for taking the time to read my resume and would enjoy the opportunity to work hard for the Tripoli Rocketry Organization to help continue making this organization to be as great as it is today, and even better tomorrow. I will greatly appreciate your support and your vote!

Erik

A couple of questions:

1) Would you support the possibility of combined EX and commercial launches.? Please explain why you feel the way you do.

2) You speak of supporting the motor certification process. Would you epand on the changes you feel would be beneficial?

3) Speaking of certification, would you speak to how you feel about the status of the flyer certification process? Do you believe improvements are possible?

I have only one question can you please post some photos of your 1/10 scale Saturn 1B.:)

Thanks Erik and good luck!

JCR

Actually I have read thru it.

While I don't personally feel the continued prohibition on combined launches iss good for the overall growth of rocketry, I was mostly wondering how a potential BOD member feels about the subject. The BOD has the long range authority to change the rules.

Please, I don't want to start a flamefest on the subject, as I know people get hot on this subject. If you would like to discuss it, feel free to e-mail me.

Oh yeah -> I was aware of the fact that what was EX is now Research. Just using a colloquialism.

Of course part 9.12 confuses me slightly as it seems to say you can use a commercially available motors at a Research launch.

Originally posted by SARocketMan
I have only one question can you please post some photos of your 1/10 scale Saturn 1B.:)

Thanks Erik and good luck!

Eric Williams has just finished glassing the booster and we plan on moving from his house to our rocket shop this Sunday.

Eric, can you snap some pics and post them? Or I will once we move it back.

The sustainer is 3/4's built, and we need to test fit it to the sustainer. It should be ready for glass in no time! Still hoping for Balls 2006, but kinda too early to tell.

Originally posted by Hospital_Rocket

Erik, A couple of questions:

1) Would you support the possibility of combined EX and commercial launches.? Please explain why you feel the way you do.

I personally would love to se it possible. But we need to make sure we do not step on anybodies toes along the way. In working with the CSFM, I have learned the changing government policy is not easy and does not make a whole lot of sense. Adhering to the current NFPA policies, and tweaking them to help the cause is the way to go. This will take time and the BOD has started moving the ball in motion in allowing commercial motors to be flown at research launches. I hope to learn more about the policies that hinder the co-mingling, and work together with the BOD to make it possible.

2) You speak of supporting the motor certification process. Would you epand on the changes you feel would be beneficial?

I do support the certification process, and feel it is working. Some feel it should be removed, I do not. Although it has been called over burdensome for the manufacturer by some, we have many more motor manufacturers then we did 10 years ago.

3) Speaking of certification, would you speak to how you feel about the status of the flyer certification process? Do you believe improvements are possible?

This is a hard question. As I feel the system is working, yet some are trying to make it possible to cert on rockets that I do not feel meet the spirit of the certification. The certification needs to show some level of competency, as this is why we have them. Dumbing it down I do not feel is a good idea. The process of certing level one is merely flying your rocket successfully.

As for additional certs, I could argue both ways, and would work off the input of the members. After flying a 50lb rocket with a 75mm M1315 in it you are cleared for a 600lb rocket with a central 6” P10,000 surrounded by six 4” N5000.

Let me add that I want to serve the members of Tripoli, and member input is the best/only way to grow and adapt this organization to best serve its members.

I think TRA has come a long way the last few years in opening communications
between the BOD and the members .... I would enjoy helping TRA to continue down this
path, and would like to keep communication open and flowing between the BOD and
members.

Erik,

As a BOD member (if elected), would you consider opening the TRA Mailing list and
archives in read only mode for non-members? I like to lurk and get a feel for what
I'd be getting onto before plunging in.

I'd be more inclined to spend the membership dollars, if I knew a bit more of
what was going on...

Best of luck to you!

Originally posted by Porthos II
Eric Williams has just finished glassing the booster and we plan on moving from his house to our rocket shop this Sunday.

Eric, can you snap some pics and post them? Or I will once we move it back.

The sustainer is 3/4's built, and we need to test fit it to the sustainer. It should be ready for glass in no time! Still hoping for Balls 2006, but kinda too early to tell.

I'll take some tomorrow assuming it isn't raining, I can't get a decent shot from in the garage... See ya Sunday!

Oh, and this thing will get in the air this year, I'll do whatever I can to make it happen!:cool:

MAybe This pic will suffice for now: this is the last shot before glass was laid down.

Originally posted by rocwizard
I'll take some tomorrow assuming it isn't raining, I can't get a decent shot from in the garage... See ya Sunday!

Oh, and this thing will get in the air this year, I'll do whatever I can to make it happen!:cool:

MAybe This pic will suffice for now: this is the last shot before glass was laid down.

Holy cow :eek:

That's a biggun, ain't it :)

Originally posted by brianc
Erik,

As a BOD member (if elected), would you consider opening the TRA Mailing list and
archives in read only mode for non-members? I like to lurk and get a feel for what
I'd be getting onto before plunging in.

I'd be more inclined to spend the membership dollars, if I knew a bit more of
what was going on...

Best of luck to you!

Again, I feel this would be up to the membership, and the IT committee that has done such a great job in providing this service for TRA members. In my opinion, I feel this is for TRA members. If you want to see TRA in action, attend a TRA Launch. Or attend a TRA Research Launch. These are the places where you would see your membership dues in action!

Oh, and this thing will get in the air this year, I'll do whatever I can to make it happen!

Thanks.

Good luck Erik I can't wait to see that baby fly.

Alex

Eric-
Thats great news that you have decided to run for the TRA BOD.

I'll only vote for you if you come and snowboard Tahoe with us! You have been promising for two years now. Its been a long time since I've seen a good face plant!

Originally posted by Tom Rouse
Eric-
Thats great news that you have decided to run for the TRA BOD.

I'll only vote for you if you come and snowboard Tahoe with us! You have been promising for two years now. Its been a long time since I've seen a good face plant!

My kids agree with you, we need to make a Tahoe run!

Originally posted by Porthos II
we need to make a Tahoe run!

Meet me at the top of the Heavenly gondola at 10:00 tomorrow morning:D I'll be there.

Yikes!

Top of Heavenly tomorrow? Dang, Pedro would not vote for that one.
Shoot, give us a weeks notice and we can get together a rocketry group to ski/snowboard Tahoe.
It would be a lot of fun to have people get together in Tahoe to enjoy the snow.

But, we put things called skis on our feet. What are "boards"?
We have long since evolved from walking on our knuckles.

Seriously, a rocket group of people getting together in Tahoe to watch Eric and friends from So. Cal fall down all day, is worth the travels!!!!!!!!!!! Knuckle draggers.

Theres a few rocketry folks that live in Truckee that can make the get together. Why not?
Us guys need a reason to get together in the winter. You can make your wife understand.

Eric is going to need a reason to have a pre-campaign get together to raise political funding. Its a write off for those of us that atttend.
This is a serious proposal to invite rocketeers to a skiing event. Lets make it happen.

T

Back