ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK 38mm submin w/ forged hair fins (experimental full I motor) - One Giant Leap for Mankind

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brainstormz123

Reaction score
It's happening, I have decided to make forged hair fins and needed a rocket to fly them in. They will be going on a submin rocket, with the motor being an experimental green colored full I motor (approximately an I-650). This rocket will be flown at the Friends of Amateur rocketry site this weekend (September 16th).

The fins are forged hair cut from my own head. This rocket was inspired when I was cutting my hair and looked at the floor and realized that my hair looks remarkably like carbon. I had been making forged carbon and fiberglass fins for rockets before and they have performed very well at high speeds (https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/i500-submin-ihop.181817/).

Picture of the molding process:
1694584247515.png

Upon cracking open the mold, I was absolutely shocked by the quality of the parts:
1694584342278.png

After a little bit of cleanup:
1694584417496.png

Final 3 fin set:
1694584440791.png

When holding these fins, they are unreasonably stiff. I have made carbon and fiberglass fins in this same mold, and the hair fins are at least as stiff as carbon if not more. As an unscientific test, this is the max deformation I am able to do with one hand, and carbon was deforming about the same.
1694584622745.png

As for the sim,. it isn't finalized and will probably be adding less noseweight depending on final masses, but will be accelerating at around 100gs to mach 2+ and around 10k ft. This will be a flight that just disappears. 1694584684185.png

As for fincan, I used some soller sleeve and just laid up one layer of carbon on a spend DMS motor:
1694584768020.png

Will be trimming this piece to shape, bonding the hair fins to it, and then potentially doing a layer of tip to tip over the fins because mach 2 got hands

this is awesome, in so many ways! thanks for sharing. yeah, bio-extruded carbon-nitrogen bonds. maybe the only comparable material is bio-extruded carbon-carbon, like cellulose from bamboo.

Have you tried a blowtorch on the LE of the fins? Does the hair act as an ablative? I believe cork powder in Cotronix epoxy does. Maybe similar?
I don't think you have any idea how bad it smelled when I was sanding them. The scent got through my respirator while outdoors and it was starting to make me sick. Probably would delaminate before ablating tho

I don't think you have any idea how bad it smelled when I was sanding them. The scent got through my respirator while outdoors and it was starting to make me sick. Probably would delaminate before ablating tho
I've got some epoxy that requires an oven post cure and was instructed by my "epoxy dealer" to not use my own oven under any circumstances....
That bad?

How about doing the tip-to-tip using pubic hairs, combed to get the right orientation in the layup? You might get some improvement by using the different types of hair.
I was already kinda grossed out but fascinated by @Brainstormz123's idea.

Your post put me @OverTheTop :)

-- kjh

p.s. Bio-fibers ! What an amazing idea !!

p.p.s. Is that your natural hair color @Brainstormz123 ? Geez ... you're a young'un :)

How about doing the tip-to-tip using pubic hairs, combed to get the right orientation in the layup? You might get some improvement by using the different types of hair.
I hear the way to go is with eyebrow and nasal hair. I'm never going to be able to look at one of those "Threading" pop-up stores in the shopping malls in the same way again!

On a more serious note, I did come across this local supplier in Brisbane.
In addition to lots of great looking carbon/kevlar/fibreglass fabrics and tubes, they also sell Flax for laminating.

It got me thinking whether I could roll a tube or make some fins with this for a more bio-friendly rocket. Any suggestions (gross included ) for adhesives other than epoxy?

1694601928116.png

p.p.s. Is that your natural hair color @Brainstormz123 ? Geez ... you're a young'un :)
I’m not that young, about to start grad school (compared to the nar/tripoli average age, guess im on the lower side) but yes, thats my actual hair.

Fyi, this will be my first and last attempt at hair composites just because they smell absolutely terrible when you go to sand them. If miraculously hair tow/cloth existed, I may give it a try, but for now, its just way too gross.

Fyi, this will be my first and last attempt at hair composites just because they smell absolutely terrible when you go to sand them. If miraculously hair tow/cloth existed, I may give it a try, but for now, its just way too gross.

I wonder if it's better or worse than actual burning hair? I've smelled that and it was bad.

Reminds me of the pre-BATF lawsuit days. I suggested we use the gratuitous amount of golden retriever hair from the dog to make hybrid fuel grains. My dad countered that we should pick up a bag from the local hair salon!

Have you done a stress test with and without the lice? Also need to know if the dandruff forms a lattice in the epoxy to add to the stiffness. :haironfire::)

I assume this was the "before" picture?:

Anderson Cooper Hair GIF

Love this - great job!

Did you try felting the hair to make a non-woven felt? It's pretty easy. 2 layers of newspaper, a layer of hair 1/2 inch thick, 2 layers of newspaper. Roll it up like s Swiss roll with hair sandwiched. Then roll back and forward. Hair matts into a non-woven felt. It's magic. You can then spray it with water and iron it to lock in place.

Thanks, quickly threw it together in fusion and printed it out of PLA this morning. Its fairly nice, but could be done better.
So @Brainstormz123 ... did you wash those fibers before you forged your fins ?

Might be important for proper bonding :)

If so what shampoo did you use ?

-- kjh( I don't have enough hair on my head to steal your ideas for a similar project unless I was to start collecting ear and nose hair ) :)

This is so awesome! I love non traditional composites 😂. I made a BBQ fork handle from juniper bark compressed and treated with cactus juice. Turned out pretty good, potentially the only one in existence in the known galaxy. This however will get you within a hair of some type of record😂
Ken

Back