Engine VS Motor....

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you want to do something constructive please instruct the world on the proper terms of using a clip or magazine in firearms. That drives me nuts. Or, the proper pronunciation being Porsche with an "a" and not simply ending in the "sh" sound.

If you want to do something constructive please instruct the world on the proper terms of using a clip or magazine in firearms. That drives me nuts. Or, the proper pronunciation being Porsche with an "a" and not simply ending in the "sh" sound.

Which is it, clip or magazine? I'm partial to magazine.

hhmmm...in the middle of a motor vs engine debate and the word "irregardless(ly)" pops up. Now that's funny.

Exactly as I have attempted to clearly explain many times in the past - only to be ridiculed. Just like the children who cannot do math "pick on" those who can. Ditto for any other subject.

If someone provides a correction and explains why there was an error, they are doing it to help you learn and become a better communicator.

Scientific and engineering terms have specific meanings/definitions. And, YES, there are many bogus definitions on the web, many are even propagated by poorly fact-checked online dictionaries and "glossaries". A prime example are the rocketry related websites that insist on propagating the clearly incorrect "bacronym" of CATO instead of the correct "cato" slang abbreviation. Another example is the verbal use of the term "burnout" when there is a motor/igniter misfire. :eyeroll:

I will not be forced to be "dumbed-down" by a bunch of cyber-bullies.

I'm with NASA on this one:

Definitions from their website: https://www.nasa.gov/audience/foreducators/rocketry/home/rockets_stack_up_nf_prt.htm

Rocket engine -- A machine with moving parts that converts stored propellant into hot gases to produce thrust.

Solid fuel motor -- A simple device that converts stored propellant into hot gases to produce thrust.

Used in a sentance, here is NASA'S definition of the Delta II rocket:

A Delta II rocket has a rocket engine, two stages, a solid fuel motor, one interstage, a payload, an aerodynamic nose cap, avionics, a fuel tank and an oxidizer tank. A Delta II rocket does not have a parachute or stabilizing fins.

They've clearly delineated the difference between engine and motor.

“Engine Trend” magazine.

Indianapolis Engine Speedway.

National Enginesport Association.

Engped

Touche' :cheers:

Which is it, clip or magazine? I'm partial to magazine.

That all depends how you are using it. All repeating arms have a magazine (fixed or removable) be it bolt action, lever action, semi-auto, full auto, you get the idea. A clip is what holds the ammunition in some sort of group to be inserted into the magazine, typically a fixed type in the firearm. Example, an M-1 Garand has a bloc type clip and an SKS has a stripper clip. These are inserted into a slot, the ammunition is then pushed into the magazine. In some cases the clip is removed prior to firing and in others it is ejected after the ammunition is exhausted. This is not to be confused with a removable magazine like many are familiar with in a semi-automatic pistol. Unfortunately, Hollywood has glorified this by calling a magazine a clip because, I'm assuming, it sounds better. So, for that Glock 9mm you have sitting in the drawer next to your bedside you use a "magazine", not a clip.

Thank you very much for wasting your time reading and allowing me to waste my time in posting. :confused:

Post Script: Irregardless :eyeroll: , please refer in PC terms as a firearm, not a weapon or for God sakes not anything including the word "assault".

Last edited:
Aw, fer cryin' out loud!!

None of you have gotten it right!!!!

The derned thing is called a "flaminupgo" - Once it's "flamin", "up" is where it wants (normally) to "go"!!

End of discussion!

G.D.

hhmmm...in the middle of a motor vs engine debate and the word "irregardless(ly)" pops up. Now that's funny.

Thank you ladies and gentlemen, I'll be here all week with two shows on Saturday. Try the veal and remember to tip your waitress.:D

I find the use of "irregardless" to be one of my biggest pet peeves. Am I to understand that without disregarding something that one is actually placing a high degree of regard on a given subject? One either regards something or holds it in a regardless state.

How dare you botch the Por"sh""a" and "Oww""DDDiee" Enunciation... or is it :"au""die".. WT_H...

the test is to go up to a handfull of sales man, swich your utilization of both makes. See if they change theirs...

" ... Ooh you make my engine run, my engine run.
Gun it comin' off the line Sharona ..."

“Get your [engine] running, Head out on the highway, Lookin' for adventure, In whatever comes our way?”

" ... Ooh you make my engine run, my engine run.
Gun it comin' off the line Sharona ..."

Thats funny.

I haven't heard Audi pronounced any other way than with a long "e".

Another bastardization is the word "coupe" in regards to cars. Proper pronuncuation is "coupé" with a long "a". I say coupe, as in chicken, most of the time but in a crowd of European sports car enthusiests you will look like you came from a chicken coupe if you use it incorrectly. On the other hand, there is something really wrong in saying your a fan of a hot rodded Deuce Coupé ;)

Oh! I got it! Check out this little bit of mental gymnastics!
Let's just go ahead and presume that engines use the chemical reaction to transfer its force to mechanical work.
So... by that logic, a engine is a motor, but a motor is not always an engine.

So... kinda like..say... knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, but wisdom is knowing not to put it in fruit salad.

Thats funny.

I haven't heard Audi pronounced any other way than with a long "e".

Another bastardization is the word "coupe" in regards to cars. Proper pronuncuation is "coupé" with a long "a". I say coupe, as in chicken, most of the time but in a crowd of European sports car enthusiests you will look like you came from a chicken coupe if you use it incorrectly. On the other hand, there is something really wrong in saying your a fan of a hot rodded Deuce Coupé ;)

what about a militant coup

It's--port-cha--- and oww- dee--as in oww- I wish I bought a Shell-bee--- I love the motor mount , engine block thing, very cool!!:wink:

Based on that, I think I will go ahead and put that engine block in my motor mount tonight ...
Yup, and you would be absolutely correct. You would be correct if you stated it the other way around, too. Over the past 50+ years, the hobby of model rocketry has borrowed quite a few terms from various fields and applied its own unique meanings to them. Some of these terms mean one thing outside of model rocketry, but mean something else within it. In model rocketry/hobby rocketry, "motor" and "engine" mean the same thing, even though in other fields, including other branches of rocketry, they refer to somewhat different things. I agree that the two words have distinctly different meanings in most contexts. Our hobby puts an unusual twist on the two words by making them mean the same thing, but only when one is using them in reference to our hobby. The reasons for this are historical. It is a tradition within this hobby to equate the two words, but only when speaking about the propulsion devices that we use in the hobby. If we talk about anything else, the two words revert back to their generally accepted meanings.

One can throw hissy fits about it all day long, but it won't change the fact that the two words have been synonyms in our hobby since the very beginning. You can go back through 53 years of literature on the hobby and see innumerable examples of the words "motor" and "engine" being used to refer to exactly the same things. Tantrums, pouting and snippy remarks on The Rocketry Forum won't alter the fact of that extensive history one iota.

Last edited:
“Engine Trend” magazine.

Indianapolis Engine Speedway.

National Enginesport Association.

Engped
Thank you for that. If it imparts motion then it's a motor even if it is also an engine.

Let's all jump on our Enginecycles and take a long ride...

Mario

Last edited:
Back