Email virus

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I too have had troubles with my email account spamming everyone in my contact list. Many important people in my contacts have let me know in no uncertain terms that they were not happy... I even had a vice president of a local club chastise me on the clubs list serve as knowingly sending out these emails as though I was sharing my internet "frivolities" with the list.

I have run many different scans on my computer, and only one trojan was found and removed, yet the problem still persisted. I ended up deleting my contact list completely to protect them, although the damage had already been done, and changing my account password to see if that will work... so far I have not spammed anyone... but without a contact list, there is no ammo. I will add one or two contacts back and see if I have been successful...

Johnnie,
Did you
  • make a clean CD/DVD and boot from that? Often you can boot from your Windows CD or rescue CD,
  • download a rescue CD image (or CD maker) from the virus software maker,
  • boot from that and follow the instructions
If you have a Windows PC I urge you to check into creating a known good rescue CD with your virus company's rescue install on it (if they have one). It saved/stopped my wife's machine from spamming everyone.

Microsoft has a "special" .iso file you can download that you use to create boot disk that will boot your PC and scan for all sorts of things that aren't supposed to be there, rootkits, etc.

Very effective from what all the security gurus say. Pretty much guarantees you will have NO malware of any sort when it's done.

It's called the Microsoft Standalone System Sweeper and can be found H E R E .

Also here is the link to the Microsoft Safety Scanner. Download the latest version - it is refreshed/updated every 10 days so don't save it for use later.

Back