Electronics bay NEED HELP

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CPUTommy

Thrust cures All
Reaction score
I have the following, what would you use and how would you configure this av bay. Im already leaning on putting the battery on the bottom of the sled and out of the way.

2.6 inch darkstar...

Thanks in advance.

Tom

Attachments

• 20210202_145355.jpg
    20210202_145355.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 56
  • 20210202_150001.jpg
    20210202_150001.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 53
  • 20210202_150010.jpg
    20210202_150010.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 35
can you list what you have?

Remember the sled has 2 sides: Electronic on one side, batteries on the other.

I'm not a fan of LOC's AV bays: they are heavy & over built.

(And would this be better in the 'Electronics' forum?)

Also remember, you can stack components if you are creative and handy. I typically mount my altimeter on top of my battery with a 3D printed bracket. The bracket holds the battery to the sled and the altimeter mounts on to the bracket via standoffs. If you don't have a 3D printer, you could probably still do the same with wood or metal. Hope that gives you an idea.

Put the Stratologger SLCF # 2 and the RRC-3 #3 in the avbay and the Featherweight Gps in the nosecone. The avbay sled/lids at the top of picture #1 looks the most functional, but not sure it will fit in the 2.6 Darkstar, but that kit comes with avbay lids anyway, right? I usually just cut a sled that fits snug in the coupler with a couple of all-thread rods through them. Didn't see any switches, but lots of options there. I like Featherweight magnetic switches, but they are a bit pricey, so some of my smaller rockets get "twist and tape" wires.
OH, and you can send me that old Stratologger SL-100, I will put it in my museum......;)

As the others said, battery on opposite side of the electronics. Also, battery with terminals down so they get pushed into the clip at liftoff. Some sort of battery retention at top is good too, but you need enough room to unclip the battery and replace it. Also key your av-bay so it only goes together one way and you know where the switch is and you have the proper access to it when the rocket is on the pad.

The way I configured my e-bay for this rocket was to put an RRC3 in the bay and my tracker in the nose cone. ymmv.
Hope this helps.

Back