Ejection charge sizing

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like I said, I learned my lesson from that mishap. Where it really gets interesting is allowing for a "tight fit" of the recovery laundry and using a similar amount of dog barf for primary protection each time. Yeah, yeah, I use a chute protector but early in my experience with ground testing of a "tight pack", I burned holes in the chute protector hence switched to tossing in some dog barf for primary protection from the flash and the protector for secondary protection. Vern K's site has some nice tabular data
on predicted and "actual" charges for some of his rockets. https://www.vernk.com/EjectionChargeSizing.htm He mentions the "snuggness factor" that I believe plays a significant part in charge requirement and likely has no scientific way to quantify.
Of course with apogee of a DD rocket and a small drogue, easy to get that out. More critical on a small heavy rocket on descent that requires a larger chute for a main. I recently changed my mind on a 4 inch diameter L3 candidate rocket and bought a longer upper bay and going to rebuild the electronics bay. I couldn't get the length of harness nor the appropriate sized main chute to fit so I said screw it and sprung for a longer tube. Also altitude predictions with even a babiest M was getting very close
to waiver limits where I'm at. Oh, found out the black nosecone may attenuate the Rf of the tracker so I bought a different nosecone and have to rebuild that. The rocket is a v1 of the Dominator 4 and was ~ $200.00 at the time. I have room for
an 84" Starchute that will be plenty for a soft landing. I have the metal ebay lids with two charge holders. I as able to drill them out "just a hair" and found plastic powder holders that press-fit in very tightly. This will be interesting if I get it completed. Kurt

Back