EggTimer Quantum, It Works!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EPflyer

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I just completed my first EggTimer Quantum Altimeter. I actually built it about a month ago and it didn't work. When power was applied, the device sounded a single beep instead of the 3 normal tones. I tried removing and re-soldering a couple components that might have had poor solder with no luck. At this point I let it set on my desk and looked at it every day and wondered why it didn't work.
After I ordered a couple more altimeters from the Holiday Sale and figured I should try to make my original purchase work. I suspected that the microcontroller might have some bad solder so I carefully removed the device from the board and cleaned all 16 holes on both the controller and the board. I stripped some solid cat 5 cable to get some wire that would fit the small holes in the controller. This wire is thicker than the supplied leads and I believe it fit better. After re-soldering the controller to the board the device now sings like it should. When power is now applied, the device makes the tones as described in the instructions. I was able to connect to the altimeter via Wi-Fi with my cell phone and open the controller page with the browser. I recommend that you take your time building the device and make sure your solder joints are secure. I plan on adding dual deploy to a mid power rocket to minimize the expense of learning how to use this type of device. I believe I will build an AV bay for an Estes Vagabond that I have in the build pile. Anyway, I am pleased that I was able to build the device and I have confidence that it will perform as designed. It will be tested extensively before it is launched. I recommend it to anyone that has patience and a little skill in electronics. I have attached a picture of the finished device.

DSC_0490.JPG

I love all the eggtimer stuff, especially the TRS the deployment altimeter and tracker all in one. It worked flawlessly this past weekend.

How do you plan on testing it?

I take mine with ejection ignitors place in a trash bag use a shop vac to suck all the air out, it simulates a flight to about 1200 feet really fast

congrats on the save, building ET stuff is super fun and rewarding!

Thanks for the idea jbrracer. I really didn't know how I would simulate a flight. Your method sounds easy. I'll give it a try.

I have another Quantum and a couple Quarks coming. I will probably invest in a TRS in a few months.

Thanks for the idea jbrracer. I really didn't know how I would simulate a flight. Your method sounds easy. I'll give it a try.

I have another Quantum and a couple Quarks coming. I will probably invest in a TRS in a few months.

its certainly better than just bench testing the deployment side

I plan on adding dual deploy to a mid power rocket to minimize the expense of learning how to use this type of device. I believe I will build an AV bay for an Estes Vagabond that I have in the build pile

Great choice! I use a Quantum and Eggfinder in my Vagabond. I've also built or converted a number of other BT-60 size rockets into dual deploy using the Quantum or Quark. Mid-power dual deploy is fun and a great way to gain experience.

Attachments

• Vagabond - G75M.jpg
    Vagabond - G75M.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 10
The Eggtimer Quantum also has a built in test function. You can hook up an ematch or light and remotely set off your deployment switch to confirm everything is set up correctly! I just tested my Quantum today with this method.

The Eggtimer Quantum also has a built in test function. You can hook up an ematch or light and remotely set off your deployment switch to confirm everything is set up correctly! I just tested my Quantum today with this method.

Doing it with a vacuum test the entire device not just the deployment channels is why I do it like that

My order from Eggtimer is in transit - I have a feeling it won’t be my last - really getting excited about adding electronics to the mix! Great seeing some love for the Vagabond, mine is one of my favorites - always a great flight. If I didn’t already have plenty of BT-60 kits on hand I’d be cloning the Vagabond to experiment with dual deploy.

Quick question about soldering tools - which irons have worked well and which should be avoided? I have an ancient 45W Radio Shack iron and a Weller 9400 gun and I doubt either is the best tool for the job...

Quick question about soldering tools - which irons have worked well and which should be avoided? I have an ancient 45W Radio Shack iron and a Weller 9400 gun and I doubt either is the best tool for the job...

I have been using a pretty nice soldering iron for ham radio uses. It is a Hakko 936 which is not made any more. I also purchased a hot air gun for the surface mount soldering. I don't think you really need the hot air gun but I do like the quality of solder joints with this method. If you have never done surface mount soldering, I recommend you also purchase a SMT practice kit and learn on a $6 board before you attempt to work on a $40 timer. Amazon has several practice kits.
The Eggtimer Rocketry web page has some recommendations regarding soldering methods and the tools to use. I believe these recommendations are included in the build instructions. Read the entire instruction set before you build the device. It might save you some frustration.

I have been using a pretty nice soldering iron for ham radio uses. It is a Hakko 936 which is not made any more. I also purchased a hot air gun for the surface mount soldering. I don't think you really need the hot air gun but I do like the quality of solder joints with this method. If you have never done surface mount soldering, I recommend you also purchase a SMT practice kit and learn on a $6 board before you attempt to work on a $40 timer. Amazon has several practice kits.
The Eggtimer Rocketry web page has some recommendations regarding soldering methods and the tools to use. I believe these recommendations are included in the build instructions. Read the entire instruction set before you build the device. It might save you some frustration.
Great advice! Thanks, I’ll definitely be ordering a practice kit - the only soldering I’ve done is household wiring, appliances, and vehicles.

I did see in the instructions that there is a test function built in. I plan to use a step by step test method that will start with testing both drogue and main circuits. I will then use the vacuum test to make sure the barometer also functions as required.

I've been overdue in getting a proper soldering station. After some research I decided on this:
https://www.zoro.com/hakko-soldering-station-digital-70w-esd-safe-fx888d-23by/i/G8816726/

Haven't used it yet, should be showing up today. I have a Quark and Proton waiting to be soldered

After seeing how well the hot air stations work I really should pick one of those up too. I'll see how the Quark goes then decide if I really need one for the Proton

I've been overdue in getting a proper soldering station. After some research I decided on this:
https://www.zoro.com/hakko-soldering-station-digital-70w-esd-safe-fx888d-23by/i/G8816726/

Haven't used it yet, should be showing up today. I have a Quark and Proton waiting to be soldered

After seeing how well the hot air stations work I really should pick one of those up too. I'll see how the Quark goes then decide if I really need one for the Proton

I have a track power branded hako sold by horizon hobby it’s great for the price just order a pencil tip with it.

I’ve also got a hot air gun it’s only been used to remove things.

I've been overdue in getting a proper soldering station...

Just wanted to follow up on this post

I soldered a Quark together this week and couldn't be happier with the soldering station I linked to. While the hot air station would be nice I can't really justify it right now. Cost isn't an issue, I just hate to buy things that I won't use much. For production it seems like the way to go, but I don't solder that many boards. I still have a Proton to assemble but have no doubts that it will go smoothly with what I've got

Along with the station, I ordered two small tips made by Plato: T18-D08 and T18-C1. The D08 worked fine, didn't see a need to change to the C1 but I might try it out on the next one

Back