Earthquake in Italy

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SaturnV

Reaction score
Something terrible. It shows that we are not far off from the ape. Still can not be predicted so that no casualties.

Yes, imagine how much money is given to weapons with the sole purpose of killing people and how much money to scientists who study earthquakes. For some hundreds of billions, and other several millions.

Further study is already being done. It is hard to predict, and it is a nut that might never be cracked. Hard to look at the condition of a fault 20 kilometers underground.

More money does not always solve a problem.

On the other hand spending money on weapons allows one to prevent or stop others from killing many. See World War Two when it was money and weapons that crushed the axis powers.

I'm not sure that the study of earthquakes is mission impossible.

Having been to Italy many times, including that region, I am guessing that having the ability to predict an earthquake if possible would certainly allow them to begin to evacuate but not likely in time. Their roads and alleys are narrow, the homes are very close and in a lot of cases the villages, towns, etc. are built on a design based on fortification, not transportation/evacuation.

That aside although their structures are very charming and in most cases much older than what we have in North America, they are not quake proof and just fall apart during these larger quakes.

I am not an engineer but I would guess that on the technical side of quake proofing a structure these may be a bit challenging. From an architectural side I am also guessing that they may be challenging from the perspective of maintaining the integrity of their charm.

Then there is the financial side of such an undertaking.

Back