Dynacom Python (3.3" OD) Build Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trying to get traditional dual deploy out of the length of the standard (single deploy) version of the Python. We shall see what I come up with once the booster gets done.
View attachment 603217

Looks very good, Justin !

Wait ! Are you adding a booster to make it a 2-stage Python ?

If so, how did I miss that ???

Thanks

-- kjh

Got the fin guides ready to be used, then scuffed the crap out of the inside of the booster tube. Motor mount and tailcone is now bonding, ready for the fins shortly.
image000000 (1).jpgimage000000.jpg

Is the metal ring a snap-ring retainer?

I'm loving this build. The Python reminds of me the first ever lakebed launch I went to on a lakebed I can't remember the name of. Jim Rosson flew one on an AT K-250. That was like mid-90s I think.

Last edited:
Is the metal ring a snap-ring retainer?

I'm loving this build. The Python reminds of me the first ever lakebed launch I went to on a lakebed I can't remember the name of. Jim Rosson flew one on an AT K-250. That was like mid-90s I think.
Correct sir. Dynacom had the original "slimline" style retainers for 54, 75 and 98.

I leveraged the last usable solid piece of the original coupler to double wall reinforce the area directly above the top centering ring. This gave me a safe area to drill and tap for rail guides. Fillets top and bottom of centering rings are done, moving onto internal horizontal fillets tomorrow morning.
image000000.jpg

Hey Justin, just below the NC shoulder you have lots of socket heads screws. What are they for ? Dave.
So the Python I picked up originally was single deploy. There was a long coupler with a big "shelf" cut out of the coupler, which was how the rocket was originally designed. One end of that coupler had (6) PEM nuts already installed, as did the short coupler coming out of the nose cone. Since I was able to source a separate 6" coupler to allow for traditional dual deploy, I was safe to cut up the original coupler, flip it on end, and glue it to the nose cone via a short piece of airframe tube. So now the original nose cone looks "normal" but with a 1.25" long piece of airframe permanently glued to it.

Back