Dupli-Deuce

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbeckey

Reaction score
I finished my Deuce in Duplicolor purple/teal. Here are a few shots.

Another view. A little out of focus, but showcases the color change.

Engine mount detail. This is the first time I ever used silk span to finish balsa fins. I put on a thin coating of 90 minute epoxy and layed the silkspan on it, making sure it soaked through completely. I then used wax paper on both sides and weighted it down. It turned out real smooth and extremely tough.

rbeckey,

I used the same paint on my Deuce and it was beautiful, before the crash. Since the mishap(only one motor lit) I repaired and repainted it Mustang grey with a sky blue nosecone. The Duplicolor kit is a little pricey but the results are worth it. Very nice job!!! If you get it in the sun just right there is bronze in it also.

Swimmer :D

The paint job looks good. I really like the fillet job you did where the engine mount meets the body tube.

Weekends

rbeckey:
Luv that trick paint, is the base coat fake silver or gold? or mixed in the paint for you. This stuff reminds me of the Old Metal flake car finishes. 3 part, flake, color, 10 to 30 coats of Clear lacquer....Beautiful but what a job!
Very nice tissue work, you'll find jap tissue works as well as the silk span with a good bit less fussing with the fit. Great finish!

Micromister,

The Duplicolor "Mirage" comes in a kit. You get the black primer, the paint and a clear coat. When I painted my Deuce the process was very easy and the results were outstanding. They call it purple/green but there are other colors in it also if you get it in the sun just right. I bought the kit at Wal Mart for around $19.00. After repairing my Deuce I didn't have enough left to recoat the rocket and didn't want to invest in another paint kit. However, after painting my Deuce grey I must admit I am tempted to splurge on another kit cause next to the "Mirage" the grey is less than memorable.

Swimmer :D

Thanks all for the compliments.
If I am not mistaken, shortly after I bought the Duplicolor kit I saw a similar finish from another paint company that was sold in seperate cans at Michaels. The base coat was black, like the Duplicolor, then there were various color coats available, including some that were pearlescent. I assume that they could then be clearcoated with the appropriate product. The cost of this would have been about half of the kit, and less than that if one could get their hands on a couple of the 40% coupons that appear regularly in the Sunday paper.
Duplicolor paints found in the automotive department of Walmart look very interesting. There are a couple of color "chrome" paints that might be worth a try.
I normally do not spend so much on paint, but hey, its a DEUCE!

Nice job on the paint job! My uncle used the same paintjob on his deuce. Yours came out nicer. Shh...don't tell him;)

Here it is in flight.

Matt,
The conventional way to do this is to coat the balsa with sanding sealer, let it dry and sand it with around 240 grit sandpaper. Do this three times and the fins or balsa NC will be as smooth as plastic. I do this before the fins are attached.
In this case, I was concerned about the durability of such large fins, though I must say that the balsa was first class. I got 90 minute epoxy and spread it generously on a fin. I then cut a piece of a special tissue called silk span that was large enough to wrap over the leading edge of the fin and cover both sides of the fin. I smoothed it onto the epoxy covered fin and left it overhang the edges of the fins. The epoxy bled through, and I spread some extra epoxy on the dry areas. I then put the fins between layers of wax paper and put a 25 pound weight on them. The next day they were dry and I cut the excess tissue off the edges with an new blade. The result is smooth and tough. The silk span is used in model plane construction and adds allot of strength to the fins. Sort of a really light weight glassing. If you can't find silk span you could try other kinds of tissue.

Back