Duh... Launch Lugs

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steward

Reaction score

Be truthfull now...

How many of us (besides me...), have finished a rocket that looks great... and you can't wait to show it off at the field, only to find that as you go to place it on the launch rod, it has no launch lug...???

Be honest now...

Originally posted by Steward
How many of us have finished a rocket...at the field to find that it has no launch lug...???
:eek: *BLUSH* :rolleyes:

My BullPup12D was missing it's lug up to the clear coating step...doh!

In my case I just pointed out to the scout troop the importance of taking your time, and paying attention to the instructions when building your rocket...

Yeah...right....(Whew...)

Oh man... The simple little paper tube that is the bane of my existance! I am CONSTANTLY forgetting to put the stupid lugs on!

Thank goodness that ACME conformal lugs look so good in bare metal! I have used these beauties several times after getting to the launch with no lugs on my rocket...

My BullPup12D was missing it's lug up to the clear coating step...doh!

same experience here with the same model, sheese!

I thought launch lugs were suppose to be forgotten until you got to the flying field. You mean to tell me, we're suppose to put them on before finishing? :confused:

I always thought the directions read:

"Finish painting and clear coating your rocket. Travel to the field and prep it with an engine, wadding, and an ignitor plug. Walk up to the launch rod and then realize you need to go back and attach the launch lug."

Originally posted by akpilot
"Finish painting and clear coating your rocket. Travel to the field and prep it with an engine, wadding, and an ignitor plug. Walk up to the launch rod and then realize you need to go back and attach the launch lug."
YES! I would LOVE to actually see that in an instruction sheet.

More acceptable, how about you kit instruction writers add this to the end where you all usually say something like "finish rocket with a paint scheme or your own or follow the package card scheme" with this instead:

"It's time to finish and paint your rocket, so go back NOW and put on the launch lug if you forgot. OK, done? Paint your rocket with your own design or follow the suggestion on the packaging."

I actually I don't I've ever done that. But now that I say this I will probably on my next rocket once I'm done painting it.

Once you're at the pads (or maybe on the way out), turn non-chalantly towards the
RSO/LCO and with shrugging shoulders holler "HEY! where's the tower launcher?"

dude, why do you think I keep a bottle of CA and a bag of misc launch lugs in my range box...

sheesh! :p

well, i'm intentionally forgetting it in my PML cirrus dart :)
I can't say that I've forgotten it before though (actually, one time I put a launch lug on accidentally - I had meant the rocket to be tower launched).

This the reason why my Fat Boy has Rail Buttons!!! :rolleyes:

There....I said it. Now I feel better :)

In the same context of "forgetfulness", I nearly sent one up w/o the shockcord... or the parachute! The only reason it didn't happen was the igniter chuffed. NC slipped off while trying to remove the rms, to replace the igniter. There was something missing... Sometimes the brain just doesn't connect. Oops! ;)

Steward:
I do it all the time...it's almost a joke with the wife and other members of the Club..."did ya remember the lugs this time John???"
It's gotten so bad I have to carry a tower and pistons Launchers with me all the time now. Must be the all the birthday's;)

I forget the rail-buttons.
The embarassment factor isn't too bad tho since it is usually just my son and I launching.
It's happened enough times that he now asks me if I remembered the buttons before we hike out to a launch.

Don't think I every got to the painting step before I realized my mistake. I think I did that once. I did get into a hurry once trying to turn-a-round launch an orginal X-Wing and forget to stuff it with wadding. Plastic rocket versus ashphault...it wasn't pretty. Why can't they land in the grass when you need them too?

Done it.

Also once forgot to glue BTs together at coupler. Made for quite an exciting ejection, considering this was a 2.9x upscale Delta Katt boost glider with the glider as big as your armspan.

(I had been postponing a decision about whether to separate at nose or midrocket. Chose nose, but forgot to eliminate other option.)

Back