dual deploy Semroc SLS Explorer

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocket72175

Reaction score
I am working on a low-weight DD system for 24mm RMS motors. The Semroc SLS Explorer is my platform. I bought an additional 8" length of BT and a solid balsa coupler to make an electronics bay.

Here is my electronics board with Perfectflite MAWD. It is 3mm ply. The battery is a 9v A10 held by small clips. I got this idea from jcsalem in another thread

The switch is a small screw-type from Aerocon which is accessed through a vent hole.

Total mass of sled = 40g. I'm happy with that.

Here is the sled going into the payload bay. ematch wires will run through the bay to a burrito-style parachute wrap.

Here is the sled in that payload tube. Two Copperhead tubes serve as guides and hold the sled in place. The sled also butts against the nose cone and balsa coupler. Rock solid.

Lastly, the assembled product (before finishing). Total weight right now is 300g. I hope to get 1500-2000' on 24mm E and F motors.

That really nice! I too have been wanting to make a dual deploy rocket for 24mm RMS. Dual deploy is fun on the big ones (H&above), and I always wanted to mess with it for small ones too. While doing that I wanted to get pretty good
alttitude as well. Looks like you accomplished my want, Well done!!! ;)

AN off the shelf version would be the SLS AeroDart. It has a decent sized payload bay.

Yeah, I looked at the AeroDart, but I didn't care for the fin pattern. With my altimeter payload, stability is not a problem, so I wanted a "cleaner" look. Semroc seems to have over-sized fins (IMO) on some models.

Back