Dual Deploy Practices

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How do you acquire dual deployment charges

• ECK-1 refills

• Pyrodex or other substitute

• Non-pyro or minimal-pyro method

• BP purchase: don't ask, don't tell

• BP purchase for muzzleloading firearm

• Limited Explosives Permit

• Explosives User Permit

• Club Permit

• Charges from others

• Ingenious alternative

Results are only viewable after voting.
Maybe dress like a pirate and carry a muzzleloading pistol at the launches?? That way I'm covered either way :)

Be sure and post pictures :).

BTW if you can only get coarse BP and you want finer you can always reduce it in a mortar and pestle and rescreen it to the grade you want.

Now I'm not sure if that should be read "as used in muzzle loading firearms" meaning the type of powder used in muzzle loading firearms, or black powder ONLY to be used in muzzle loading firearms. Maybe dress like a pirate and carry a muzzleloading pistol at the launches?? That way I'm covered either way :)

Unfortunately, that is likely to mean that somewhere in WA case law are interpretations which indicate what it means - not the easiest way to determine intent. It is hard to tell whether "as used in" means something like a g designation (i.e. FFFFg vs FFFF) may be intended - so that only powder manufactured specifically for ML is meant (graphite coated); or it could mean that only manufactured rather than home made, or it could mean the granulation range, or it could mean "the kind that explodes" vs carbon black or colored talc. If you ask your local Fire Marshall, unless he is a fireworks or rocketry guy himself, he will insist that it means only when actively being stored/transported for use in a genuine muzzle loaded firearm; I suggest reenactor garb during transport - your choice of union or confederate. If you ask a PGI member, they will say it means any highly consolidated* combination of charcoal, potassium nitrate and sulfur, along with binders and performance related admixtures, which deflagrates upon ignition.

*which separates it from "green powder", which is simply mixed

Back