Dual Deploy Poll - Backup Altimeter

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

L1 and L2 Flights ONLY: Do you use a second/backup altimeter for dual deploy flights?

• Yes

Votes: 23 36.5%
  • No

Votes: 13 20.6%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 27 42.9%
  • Othe

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Starfire73

OpenRocket Wannabe
Reaction score

When flying dual deploy, do you use a second completely separate electronic device (back-up flight computer/altimeter) as an ignition device for recovery system deployment? Reminder - this is for L1 and L2 flights only.

If the rocket goes out of sight I like a backup event. If its a plugged motor that means another altimeter.

For HPR, I always use single electronic deployment with JL Chute Release. There is no drogue or streamer. Motor ejection almost caused me a lawn dart so I consider it unreliable (delay timing) so I don't use it.

My system is fully redundant with:
  • Separate batteries for electronics and deployment
  • Dual batteries for the above (actually, a third backup battery with diode OR'ing with the other two)
  • Dual pyro charges (separate e-matches)
  • Eggtimer Proton (main) and Quantum (backup) flight computers (WiFi arming of pyro channels)
  • Parallel switches for both batteries
  • Wiring is all home runs (vs daisy chains)
  • Dual JL Altimeters 2 (I had them so I put them in)
  • XT30 RC battery and pyro charge connectors (Very tight and rugged)
  • Dual JL Chute Releases (in "series" so either one releasing allows the chute to open)
  • For recovery I have a GPS-transmitter and beeper on board
This may sound like overkill but I have a lot of time, effort, and money in rockets.... plus it is a challenge to make this as bulletproof as possible

Attached is a schematic and and a couple of pictures of my ebay.

Attachments

• ebay 1.jpg
    ebay 1.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • ebay 2.jpg
    ebay 2.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • ebay.pdf
    67.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Can you modify the poll slightly.
Yes, I use two of the same model altimeter

Yes, I use two different models of altimeter

I think it matters!

Next question, 2 ematches and 2 charges? Or 2 ematches in one charge?

That matters, too.

I designed my own AV sled and 3D print it, which has backup. I use the same AV sled (which I now have two of) in all 13 of my DD rockets. My sled will work down to a 38mm coupler. You can find it in my signature along with the bulkheads required to make it fit in a bunch of different diameters.

At 2.6 inch diameter tube (that's the smallest diameter DD I have right now), I can fit 2 e-matches and 2 charges (preferred approach). At 38mm, that most likely wouldn't be possible. In that case I'd do two e-matches to one charge. If I can make it work with 2 charges, I definitely will. But I don't have a 38mm DD rocket...yet.

Last edited:
Dang !

I am feeling under-protected ...

All I've ever done is a single flight controller with single ejection charges, one Drogue and one Main.

But back in the days when I was working on AltAcc firmware, I would often fly two AltAccs -- one for ejection and a new one with new firmware for data only ...

Tony ( @manixFan ) now has me considering setting up redundant ejection charges on a single Blue Raven but I am still learning the gotcha's with the Featherweight 38mm, 29mm and 24mm AV-Bays so one thing at a time ...

IMO, motor ejection is less reliable than electronics and I've not used motor ejection for any HPR flight since 1995 or 1996 when I started trusting the AltAcc.

Each of my three HPR flights in 2023 were all Blue Raven Dual Deployment without motor backup.

-- kjh

For HPR, I always use single electronic deployment with JL Chute Release. There is no drogue or streamer. Motor ejection almost caused me a lawn dart so I consider it unreliable (delay timing) so I don't use it.

My system is fully redundant with:
  • Separate batteries for electronics and deployment
  • Dual batteries for the above (actually, a third backup battery with diode OR'ing with the other two)
  • Dual pyro charges
  • Eggtimer Proton (main) and Quantum (backup) flight computers (WiFi arming of pyro channels)
  • Parallel switches for both batteries
  • Wiring is all home runs (vs daisy chains)
  • Dual JL Altimeters 2 (I had them so I put them in)
  • XT30 RC battery and pyro charge connectors (Very tight and rugged)
  • Dual JL Chute Releases (in "series" so either one releasing allows the chute to open)
  • For recovery I have a GPS-transmitter and beeper on board
This may sound like overkill but I have a lot of time, effort, and money in rockets.... plus it is a challenge to make this as bulletproof as possible

Attached is a schematic and and a couple of pictures of my ebay.
@atestani --

Interesting idea -- OR'ing an extra battery ...

Do you have a picture ( edit: of the circuit ) ?

Thanks !

-- kjh

Last edited:
@kgh

I included the entire schematic of the ebay as "ebay.pdf". Let me know if it didn't come thru in my original post?
@2-0turbo --

I am not sure which is why I asked to see a picture of the circuit ...

-- kjh
Here is the circuit diagram again. It is in my original post but must not be showing. Can you see it now?

Attachments

• ebay.pdf
    67.2 KB · Views: 0
@kgh

I included the entire schematic of the ebay as "ebay.pdf". Let me know if it didn't come thru in my original post?

Here is the circuit diagram again. It is in my original post but must not be showing. Can you see it now?
Thanks @atestani

It is there now on the original post and also on this one too !

I must have missed the schematic when I looked at your original post ... sorry ...

I've got some studying to do :)

Thanks again !

-- kjh

I use single altimeter the with motor charge (no reduction in delay) as my backup so it doesn't come in ballistic. If I ever go with a plugged motor I'll setup for a redundant, second altimeter.

Smaller diameter or lighter rockets, single altimeter (well tested). Larger and or bigger dual altimeter. It is really the rocket size not the motor size that drives the decision.

Back