Dremel 1

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Adding more details. But as you can see in the pix so much more to do. I'm really pushing my finishing ability here. But hey, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

Black stripe is drafting tape. Not sure I like the crepe look, but it's what I had on hand. It's starting to grow on me. I have until the clear coat to decide if I want to use smooth tape instead.

Still working on the leds. I have them expoxied in place. I bought the real, real , real slow cure time JB Weld (the old stuff) by mistake so I am waiting for the epoxy to set .............................

My original design had them being used in a staic display only, not in flight. This made power easy. A 9v battery for display at field events and wall wart for display at home.

As she started taking form I gave in to the realization that the leds had to be flight ready. So back to the drawing board. The flight battery pack is going to be 6v delivered by two CR2025 button cells.

Luckily I have a battery carrier and all that I'll need to make it easy to swap the power supply.

This looks like a task for tomorrow.

Dremel 1 battery parts post.jpg

The led connectors (male) on the battery carrier are soldered in place. Two pins for (+) and two pins for (-). Have the female ends soldered onto led leads.

Decided against a switch. Easier to just unplug the connectors then add another level of complexity.

The removable pin connectors will let my change out power supplies as dictated by the situation. Each pin protected with shrink tubing.

I must say I am fighting the urge to just fly her, but I'm being patient and finishing her first. My track record for flying before finished and then actually finishing it is a bit iffy.

Battery with connect post.jpg

Clip being soldered post.jpg

Battery with led post.jpg

Finally have the booster pod in place. The wires for the led run though the external wiring chase (launch lug) and through a hole in the fuselage. Not sure yet what color if any to paint the nose and nozzle of the booster pod.

Next step is a wiring harness to connect the booster pod led to the boat tail (is that the right term Powderburner?) led. That way a only single set of wires will be routed through the fuselage.

Not really sure yet how this whole thing will work yet. The trick will be keeping the rear end leds lit when the chute is deployed if the battery is in the nose. Have to think about this.

Dremel 1 hole for wire post.jpg

Dremel 1 external wire chase post.jpg

Dremel 1 booster pod attached post.jpg

Added a set screw to the boat tail. In case anything goes wrong in the tail end I can now access it without tearing the rocket apart.

Used my favorite tool to drill the pilot hole. It's a small plastic hand drill I bought from Radio Shack about 25 years ago. It's been repaired once or twice, but it's amazing how long it has lasted. I've been looking for another as a back up, but no luck at any RS I've checked. Seems if it can't be used with a cellphone then RS doesn't carry it anymore. Anyway...

Dremel 1 set screw post.jpg

Hand drill post.jpg

Rear wiring harness is completed.

Test glued carbon rod to BT with superglue. Nice strong bond.

Dry fit the motor mount with the harness inserted in the carbon fiber wiring chase. Going to be tricky to line up and glue. Feeling good about the decision to use a set screw to hold in the boat tail.

It feels like the end is near. The goal is to have her ready to fly by the 16th for DARS club launch.

All this building makes me want to fly.

rear harness post.jpg

graphite rod test post.jpg

Inner wiring chase post.jpg

Tested the idea that the wiring harness could be used as a shock cord. Rigged a rocket with wire harness shock cord and launched it. Wire held up with no visible melting. Chute deployed. So it is possible to use the wire harness running from the tail end to connect the leds to the battery in the nose cone and serve as the shock cord.

But, since this rocket will rarely be flown at dusk/night I decided to add quick connects to the rear harness. This way it can fly with a standard shock cord or the wire shock cord.

With this solved it's time to finish her up and get her in the air.

rearend disconnect female post.jpg

rearend disconnect male post.jpg

rearend disconnect post.jpg

The end is almost here.

Since I needed to use the rear harness only when required, I modified the battery holder by adding the green terminal block. The twist in the wires made it easier to glue the terminal block to the battery holder.

When the rear leds are needed, the wire harness threads through the chase and the ends are screwed into the terminal block. I tinned the ends to make this easy.

First pic shows rear harness only connected. The next shows both harnesses connected. The battery fits nicely into the nose cone. Easily inserted when needed and removed when not.

Dremel 1 battery detail rear only post.jpg

Dremel 1 battery detail both post.jpg

The carbon fiber chase is glued to the motor mount. The kevlar shock cord was threaded though the chase. The wire harness still easily slides in when needed.

I must admit I was nervous about gluing the motor mount in place. So much to go wrong. The wire from the booster led had to be threaded though a notch in the mm. The motor mount had to be inserted perfectly for the boat tail to fit properly. The chase had to line up with the bottom of the rocket (held horizontally).

I dry fit the motor mount a few times. When the proper distance was hit I rigged a jig made of a piece of dowel and a clothespin. Now the mm would stop where I needed it to when it ran into the dowel.

All went as planned. It still needs quite a bit of detailing, but it is ready to fly.

Dremel 1 mm jig post.jpg

Dremel 1 mm installed post.jpg

Dremel 1 wire chase to mm post.jpg

Decided to run my wiring chase inside the body tube. Had a piece of carbon fiber tubing on hand. A little heavy, but perfect for the job.

Try a plastic drinking straw from your favorite local fast/junk food emporium?

Or, you can always roll your own with a little paper and glue (use a plastic straw as a tool to roll the paper)

Where are you painting? It's too blankety-blank cold outside!

Hey Powderburner

In the relative comfort of my garage and then bringing it inside to dry. Ambient is within allowable temp with the added bonus there is like 0 humidity. As bad as it is, this is my best finish yet.

Dremel 1 has been on hold while I earn enough money to continue building her. I was able to get a decent flight on a C6-3 by adding some nose weight.

Updates to follow.

Well, Dremel 1 has been sitting by the workbench pining for attention since January. I was never happy with how she flew. On a C6-3, she had a low, arcing flight. Suspecting it might be a CG/CP thing, I went back and modeled her in Open Rocket. Boy was I right. For a flight of approx. 100 ft on a C6-3, she would need around 154 grams of nose weight. About 100 grams more than I used!

Previously, the motor mount had to be surgically removed due to a water landing and a stuck motor. Without a motor mount, I was left with two options to consider. Go back to 18mm and added nose weight, which would limit me to a C or the new Quest D or Change to a 24mm mount and increase the motor option to an F.

I built a 24mm motor mount. It's actually an old mount modified to handle the boat tail. On E9-4 with 300 grams of nose weight, she'll hit a bit over 300 ft. Not bad.

Dremel 1 new mm post.jpg

Decided to take the easy way out of the stability issue by making Dremel 1 longer by about 12". This will also help with routing the wires and mounting the battery for the aft LEDs. The downside is that it no longer looks like a funky little space taxi.

Adding a 12" piece of BT-60 made it look too plain, so I added a coupler made of three BT-20s with some trim for effect. Here it is primed.

The 3 BTs butt up against the centering of the motor mount, effectively sealing in the ejection charge (in theory anyway).

Dremel 1 coupler.jpg

Dremel 1 upper bulkhead mm.jpg

Forward bulkhead is attached to the coupler. I used my Dremel tool to round out the holes (hmmm, Dremel building Dremel. Note to self: possible Skynet scenario keep tabs on Dremel tool). Still need to clean it up a bit and reinforce it a bit with CA.

The wire through the bulkhead is for the battery to power the 2 aft LEDs. I'm still puzzling over how to mount the battery. I'm using an A23 battery to power them. 12v but not especially beefy. It weighs only 10.4 grams with holder. It fits easily into BT-20 so I'm heading in that direction. Also enough room for a small circuit board so the lights flash on and off (that's a project for another day).

Deciding whether to mount it inside or outside the main body tube. I'm leaning towards outside.............................

Dremel 1 forward bulkhead start.jpg

Dremel 1 foward bulkhead shaped.jpg

A23 in holder.jpg

Thanks Pem Tech me too.

Hmm, still need to get around to the touch up work and details ...........................................................

Here's a dry fit of Dremel 1a.

I'm bummed out she is no longer a little space taxi, but another, better and bigger space taxi will rise from the wreckage.

She is now more like a battle cruiser. Needs some armament. And another turret (previously a cockpit) or two. She should scream though on a D or E.

Dremel  1 mod dry fit post.jpg

Last edited:
Back