Dragon Rocketry Red Nova Upscale and Crayon Paint

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ac2fv

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I got the paint on both rockets. Red Nova has vinyl lettering from Stickershock. Crayola crayon rocket is all paint. Both need minor touch up/clean up work before the clear coat goes on.

Attachments

• crayola-paint-1.jpg
    crayola-paint-1.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • crayola-paint-3.jpg
    crayola-paint-3.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • nova-paint.jpg
    nova-paint.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • crayola-paint-2.jpg
    crayola-paint-2.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 0
Can you provide details, like brand and color of paint, where you got the Crayola markings, etc?
I use Createx Colors exclusively for all my paint work. Paint gets laid down using an Iwata LPH-80 mini gun.

For the Crayola rocket, I first laid down 3 coats of Rustoleum primer filler and sanded. Next layer was 6001 white Createx Autoborne Sealer as a paint base. Next was the crayon paper using 0082 Wicked Opaque Pyrrole Orange mixed with a touch of 0089 Wicked Opaque Cream. If you look at an orange crayon for reference, the crayon is waxy and shiny while the paper wrapper is not bright orange. Hence the white in the orange to knock it down a bit.

The black graphics were sprayed with 5211 Opaque Black.

I’ll spray the final clear coat using Spraymax 2k Satin or Matte. Again, using the actual crayon for reference the paper label is not shiny, it’s dull.

For the graphics themselves… I’m a retired graphic designer. I peeled a label off a Crayola crayon and flattened it out. I then took a picture of it, airdropped it to my computer and recreated and enlarged it to size using Adobe Illustrator. I then sent it out to my local Signarama to have paint masks made.

I hope this helps.

I use Createx Colors exclusively for all my paint work. Paint gets laid down using an Iwata LPH-80 mini gun.

For the Crayola rocket, I first laid down 3 coats of Rustoleum primer filler and sanded. Next layer was 6001 white Createx Autoborne Sealer as a paint base. Next was the crayon paper using 0082 Wicked Opaque Pyrrole Orange mixed with a touch of 0089 Wicked Opaque Cream. If you look at an orange crayon for reference, the crayon is waxy and shiny while the paper wrapper is not bright orange. Hence the white in the orange to knock it down a bit.

The black graphics were sprayed with 5211 Opaque Black.

I’ll spray the final clear coat using Spraymax 2k Satin or Matte. Again, using the actual crayon for reference the paper label is not shiny, it’s dull.

For the graphics themselves… I’m a retired graphic designer. I peeled a label off a Crayola crayon and flattened it out. I then took a picture of it, airdropped it to my computer and recreated and enlarged it to size using Adobe Illustrator. I then sent it out to my local Signarama to have paint masks made.

I hope this helps.

Oh yeah it does. Good info, thanks.

Back