Dr. Zooch Lifting Body build thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if you watch his Red Ants video, the one for the Vostok, he throws in there that the rocket is blazing a glorious trail for Russia so that they can dominate the world, or, at least the NHL....LOL!

Note the closing scene from the LB video part 2, with the LB shuttle and the VAB. I get people asking if I can show them that terrific VAB model... What a hoot.

Note the closing scene from the LB video part 2, with the LB shuttle and the VAB. I get people asking if I can show them that terrific VAB model... What a hoot.

I suspect some photoshop was involved, no?? :)

Very cool...

I like the "Alti 9" as well... any plans to kit that one??

Later! OL JR :)

Actually, it's a blow-up of a picture and the crawlerway is a series of prints of actual crawlerway stones laied out at different angles. The key is that the camera sees in 2D but you can trick the viewer into making it 3D in their brain.

I'll have to look for the "Alti 9"... the name Alti is a cover that I use when working on a new kit and I assign a number arbitrarily. So when I'm flying a new idea at a public launch, no one gets a good idea of what I'm working on.

Actually, it's a blow-up of a picture and the crawlerway is a series of prints of actual crawlerway stones laied out at different angles. The key is that the camera sees in 2D but you can trick the viewer into making it 3D in their brain.

I'll have to look for the "Alti 9"... the name Alti is a cover that I use when working on a new kit and I assign a number arbitrarily. So when I'm flying a new idea at a public launch, no one gets a good idea of what I'm working on.

Oohh... sorry to spill the beans on your secret prototype designation system... guess it's simpler than "H-U-N-T-S-V-I-L-E-X" LOL:)

I was talking about your Ares I first stage/Titan (Mark II) second stage/ Mark II capsule topped booster in the pic... thought it was the "Alti-9" from the cartoons, but maybe I'm misremembering...

Like "the stick", it's so ugly it's sorta cute in a way...

Ohhhh... the one in the cartoon strip...

It got de-funded.

But I do indeed have a one-off flight version.

Ohhhh... the one in the cartoon strip...

It got de-funded.

But I do indeed have a one-off flight version.

Ah, okay... typical... what are they building now??

I'm going to have to check out the cartoon strips... I usually end up doing that about every couple three months or so... very entertaining... Love the brilliance that comes from deep under Mt. Myopia...

It's good to drop by there only on occasion, because every time my workload gets high, The Program gets knocked off the schedule- so I'm way behind.

It's good to drop by there only on occasion, because every time my workload gets high, The Program gets knocked off the schedule- so I'm way behind.

WE WANT MORE "PROGRAM"... WE WANT MORE "PROGRAM"...

Course I guess we could say the same thing about NASA as well... :p

Just thought up a new motto-- "The Program"-- the only cartoon that moves at the same speed as NASA..." LOL:)

Hi Luke! you were close...I am going to try to make a Luftwaffe varient...make the booster a V2 and go with a neat Luftwaffe paint scheme for the orbiter...I am thinking Fw-190 or something....I think it can look cool!

Whatcha got planned for this one??

I have an idea...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHs2nKI0dXk

:dark:mwahahahaha.... :dark::dark::dark:

Hi Luke! you were close...I am going to try to make a Luftwaffe varient...make the booster a V2 and go with a neat Luftwaffe paint scheme for the orbiter...I am thinking Fw-190 or something....I think it can look cool!

This otta be good...

OK....small package of some much needed spare parts comes in today's mail from Dr. Zooch ( Dr. Zooch has THE BEST customer service!!! thank you Wes! :cheers:) ...and construction of my Japanese Lifting Body will continue tonight! Thanks for the help Wes! I am trying to use some leftover scraps of balsa etc to make this Orbiter and Wes was kind enough to send me up some BB's for the nose weight.

Last edited:
OK....small package of some much needed spare parts comes in today's mail from Dr. Zooch ( Dr. Zooch has THE BEST customer service!!! thank you Wes! :cheers:) ...and construction of my Japanese Lifting Body will continue tonight! Thanks for the help Wes! I am trying to use some leftover scraps of balsa etc to make this Orbiter and Wes was kind enough to send me up some BB's for the nose weight.

Hehehe... do BB's require a permit and waiting period in NJ?? LOL:)

Sounds like you ran into a problem... que pasa??

Hi Luke....as you know Dr. Zooch gives you extras on everything..between my two Lifting body kits I had 6 extra BB's....so I needed another 3 for this scratch built one...I just couldn't see buying BB's in a lot of 1000 which was all that I found at Walmart up here....

Hehehe... do BB's require a permit and waiting period in NJ?? LOL:)

Sounds like you ran into a problem... que pasa??

Are you going to start a new build thread ?

I look forward to this very much !

Paul T

Thanks Paul...pictures will definitely be posted here on this thread! I should have my new kit in a few days and I am going to go with a Luftwaffe scheme....I have to decide what scheme I want for the V2 (booster)...I think I know where I want to go with the Orbiter!

Are you going to start a new build thread ?

I look forward to this very much !

Paul T

You had mentioned a splinter camo in greys ,that would look great.I almost did my V-2 in greys ,black and white.I used to have this great website in my favorites on my old PC ,it had dozens and dozens of Luftwafe "what if" color schemes ,wish I still had it ,truly a great resource.I used it for some of my scale plastic models ,hope i can find it.

Paul t

Last edited:
I've sent your new LB kit... TWICE, and it's still here. Put it into my mailbox for pickup Monday... mailidiot came, left mail, failed to take the kits. Same thing today! (Wife's car is in the shop and so I won't have wheels until tomorrow morning because she's driving mine). Each time I have to void the lable and print another one because they are only valid for the daite listed... so now I have to do it all for THIRD time! When you get your kit you'll see 3 (or more) lables on it. Ugggg!

third time is the charm Wes!! I got an e mail saying something about the label having to be re printed but I didn't really understand what was the matter and I had another email indicating that it had been sent...I appreciate all your efforts to get it to me though!

quick question...since I am going to make this next LB a Luftwaffe version, I do not want to use the wraps for the SRB's because they say United States down the side. I have some left over wraps that I copied when I made your Shuttle...will the shuttle SRB wraps work for the LB SRB's? looks to me to be the same size body tube used for the SRB.....can't wait to start her...this is such a cool kit.

I've sent your new LB kit... TWICE, and it's still here. Put it into my mailbox for pickup Monday... mailidiot came, left mail, failed to take the kits. Same thing today! (Wife's car is in the shop and so I won't have wheels until tomorrow morning because she's driving mine). Each time I have to void the lable and print another one because they are only valid for the daite listed... so now I have to do it all for THIRD time! When you get your kit you'll see 3 (or more) lables on it. Ugggg!

Hi Luke....as you know Dr. Zooch gives you extras on everything..between my two Lifting body kits I had 6 extra BB's....so I needed another 3 for this scratch built one...I just couldn't see buying BB's in a lot of 1000 which was all that I found at Walmart up here....

So you hit the ant up to mail you three BB's...

Do you work for NASA?? LOL:) Sounds like you might be overqualified... LOL:)

J/K... later! OL JR :)

PS. I haven't bought BB's in I don't know how long... used to be able to get them in a little paper tube with a cap on them... they don't have those anymore??

Thanks Paul...pictures will definitely be posted here on this thread! I should have my new kit in a few days and I am going to go with a Luftwaffe scheme....I have to decide what scheme I want for the V2 (booster)...I think I know where I want to go with the Orbiter!

If in doubt, check Luft '46... :)

Look on the bright side... at least there's NO CHANCE of it coming open!!!

Course he'll need an industrial laser to get into the package...

"This is an industrial laser, Mr. Bond... it emits and extraordinary light-- not to be found in nature... It can project a spot on the moon, or, at closer range, cut through solid metal... here, I'll show you...

Thank you for the demonstration, Goldfinger, but that's quite alright...

Choose your next witticism carefully, Mr. Bond, it may be your last...

Do you expect me to talk??

NO, Mr. Bond... I EXPECT YOU TO DIE!!!!"

LOL:)

PS... I guess it's not just me... seems like the Postal Service is going to extraordinary measures to hire only the biggest idiots they can possibly find... I get our schoolbus "mechanics" mail, and he lives over a mile and half from here two roads over... good Bohemian name and mine's English... and the moron has "peeled out" from the mailbox so many times that he's dug several potholes a foot deep in front of the mailbox and across the driveway... and dug out four or five inches deep along the edge of the county road pavement, which is crumbling off because of it... I've leveled it up TWICE with the tractor, and he tears it up again within a WEEK... FINALLY I've had it and told Betty, "I don't care if he tears the suspension clean out from under that little rice rocket he drives, I'm NOT levelling it up AGAIN!" Let the county do it... that's what we pay these exhorbitant taxes for...

PPS... this is the idiot that left my Saturn V out in a FLOODING RAIN on the front steps, for my nephew to find and thankfully unpack and stack the tubes over the heater vents while we were in Indiana last Christmas... JERK!!!

Last edited:

Guess who's NOT getting a tip for Christmas, huh??

A bus driver buddy of mine was retired from the Post Office with like 26 years in... he told me lots of "war stories"... he used to have a pretty good route, a walking route, and he did his best to make sure that folks were taken care of... got their stuff, accurately and on time, packages put where they wouldn't get rained on or toted off... stuff like that... said he usually ended up with a couple hundred bucks at Christmastime, from folks giving him cards with tips in them... so he did his best to make sure that THEY were especially well taken care of as a thank-you...

I had to put a big old wad of junk mail in the back of my mailbox to keep the idiot delivering our mail from shoving it all the way to the back of the box... he uses one of those "grabber" things to open the box, shove it all the way to the back, and then half-@ss close the box up again, so the mail usually gets rained on if any rain comes down...

Idiot... yeah, I'll give him a tip... LEARN TO READ and then GET ANOTHER JOB!

Back