Does the LOC Forte need nose weight?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4regt4

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Can any owners out there answer this?

The Forte is on my short list of a next purchase.

I downloaded the .rkt file, opened it in OpenRocket. After adding in a few 38mm motors, I notice that Cp and Cg are uncomfortably close. Like under 1 caliber for many 38/360 or 38/480 motor combinations. As I don't have one in hand, I can't verify either Cg nor if the fins, etc. are entered/dimensioned correctly.

Hans.

I put in a little weight, and I think I flew it on an H219 or an H283. Mine was set up for DD.

Have you set it up as dual deploy? The need for nose weight may change depending on how you rig your electronics bay and provide recovery gear.

I put in a little weight, and I think I flew it on an H219 or an H283. Mine was set up for DD.

Have you set it up as dual deploy? The need for nose weight may change depending on how you rig your electronics bay and provide recovery gear.
No, I'm planning on motor ejection. It'll fly with a logging altimeter, Marco Polo, and JLCR, none of which weigh much. Maybe an ounce up near the nose.

Hans.

I noticed that there appears to be 2 versions of this rocket. The .rkt file, and the description on the Apogee website do not show a payload bay. But the LOC page says something to the effect of "now with a payload bay". The old version has a 34" body tube, the newer version lists a 10" and a 24". I'll update the sim file with the payload bay and see what happens.

Hans.

Edit: Correction!! It looks like the .rkt file does indeed have the payload bay. Oops.

Last edited:
Mine is the 10"/24" version. It's a cool little rocket. I'm partial to 4fin models.

When mine went I used a streamer at apogee and the main opened around 500'. The streamer descent was pretty fast and you could hear it snapping before the main popped.. Not sure it wouldn't have been similar drogueless.

Next time it flies it will have a 12"(ish) chute for the drogue.

I don’t know about larger motors but I’ve flown mine on G80’s with adapters and it flew great with no issues and no nose weight.

Mine is the newer version with the payload section.

Last edited:
I don’t know about larger motors but I’ve flown mine on G80’s with adapters and it flew great with issues with no nose weight.

Mine is the newer version with the payload section.
I think it sims OK on G's, but I'm looking to put 38/360 and 38/480 H's and I's in it. OpenRocket is showing about 0.5 caliber of stability, and it's probably going to be worse than that after considering glue in the fin can and MMT.

Hans.

I have an original version and I converted my Forte into dual deploy. I put my Eggfinder (& battery) in the nose cone, which serves as my nose weight. I've flown it with the 38/720 case and an I327DM. Flies straight and true.

I have an original version and I converted my Forte into dual deploy. I put my Eggfinder (& battery) in the nose cone, which serves as my nose weight. I've flown it with the 38/720 case and an I327DM. Flies straight and true.
How much (guesstimate...) do you think the DD and Eggfinder added to the head end?

Hans.

I think it sims OK on G's, but I'm looking to put 38/360 and 38/480 H's and I's in it. OpenRocket is showing about 0.5 caliber of stability, and it's probably going to be worse than that after considering glue in the fin can and MMT.

Hans.

Why do you have to put that much glue into a fin can on an L2 rocket ?

My LOC ISP which is the 3" rocket with 54mm mount the Forte is for a smaller mount; I build with nothing but a fin can with gorilla glue and that was it, cut the body tube SLOTS down and put it on. then sealed the tube slots so air could not get in.

Last edited:
I flew Estes PSII rockets on I motors that were not totally glued together ; I had to use masking tape to keep the tubes together on the couplers inside as I had to ship them to the launch site ; I flew it twice to prove it

Why do you have to put that much glue into a fin can on an L2 rocket ?
I wasn't planning on putting in "that much" glue. But the sim file had none. So if it's 0.5 caliber stability as-is, just 1/2 oz glue would make it much worse. I'm just saying that it's on the edge as per the Rocksim file, glue potentially takes it over the edge to completely unflyable.

Hans.

I wasn't planning on putting in "that much" glue. But the sim file had none. So if it's 0.5 caliber stability as-is, just 1/2 oz glue would make it much worse. I'm just saying that it's on the edge as per the Rocksim file, glue potentially takes it over the edge to completely unflyable.

Hans.

What glue are you using on a rocket like that?

What glue are you using on a rocket like that?
Haven't received it. So don't know. Probably epoxy, but after inspecting the parts, wood glue would not be off the table. I really know little about the kit other than LOC's descriptions, and the Rocksim file. That's why I'm here asking questions before I order.

Hans.

Haven't received it. So don't know. Probably epoxy, but after inspecting the parts, wood glue would not be off the table. I really know little about the kit other than LOC's descriptions, and the Rocksim file. That's why I'm here asking questions before I order.

Hans.

ON the LOC ISP which is the 54 mount version of the rocket I used Clear Gorilla glue to make the fin can motor mount, then I cut the slots to drop the body tube to mate to the fin can ...

Don't do old school building the Fotre is the same but smaller motor mount

ON the LOC ISP which is the 54 mount version of the rocket I used Clear Gorilla glue to make the fin can motor mount, then I cut the slots to drop the body tube to mate to the fin can ...

Don't do old school building the Fotre is the same but smaller motor mount
What I was getting at is that, given the info I have at hand, it's questionably stable w/o any glue. So even 1 drop just makes it worse.

But w/o the actual rocket in hand, I'm just arm chair quarterbacking.

Hans.

What I was getting at is that, given the info I have at hand, it's questionably stable w/o any glue. So even 1 drop just makes it worse.

But w/o the actual rocket in hand, I'm just arm chair quarterbacking.

Hans.

That is based on the data you have at hand that may not be correct

The total weight of my nose cone with Eggfinder, sled, battery, etc is 141grams, which is 5oz.

1700621592217.png

Back