Discovery Channel at LDRS 31

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Consider this... She's well known, and fairly attractive, so what happens when she's out in public? She gets mobbed, and treated like a celebrity. It gets old, I'm sure.

Last year, while waiting for the opportunity to fly Smemo's Folly for Discovery, Kari and I were halfway through my "bit". That meant the 30 - 45 minutes we waited, we had nothing to do, so the two of us just stood away from everyone and chatted. All sorts of topics, but believe it or not, mostly about our respective kids.

The cameras were nowhere nearby, and we were in a holding pattern.

Never once did I ask about MythBusters, ask to have my picture taken with her, or any other stereotypical things. I suspect that had a lot to do with her willingness to chat. My dad, a couple years back, had a long conversation with Stephen King, for much the same reason -- he treated him like a human being, not like a celebrity.

-Kevin

Well yeah, try not to act like a crazy fan, of course. Some people were still getting there photo opt by standing between her and the car. I just observed the defensive behavior near the LCO / flight line. Just don't see her as there to enjoy rocketry, just more of a doing a job thing.

I was at all 3 LDRS events where the discovery channel was filming (29 in Lucerne, 30 in Argonia, and 31 in Potter).
There have been more than 3. You forgot the original Discovery Channel LDRS event, 22 - in Argonia, KS July 2003. No Kari Byron there.

I remember it well, as my 4" scratchbuilt (later renamed from "SeeYa!" to "Reluctant") was loaded with a K motor that absolutely refused to light. It was 113 degrees and I carried that thing to/from the pad about 4 times. My last trip back (I gave up on that motor) I passed a cameraman with a boom-mount. He followed my disgusted self as I walked past, and that was my 10 seconds of fame. They included it in the credits for the show!

I was annoyed by all the golf carts and disruptions at LDRS 31 also - but I hope to see my onboard footage on the show this year.

Edit - it was less than 10 seconds of fame. More like 1 second. Here is video, I am 5 seconds in, carrying red(ish) rocket:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dPQvNdKKAjw

Last edited:
I remember it well, as my 4" scratchbuilt (later renamed from "SeeYa!" to "Reluctant") was loaded with a K motor that absolutely refused to light. It was 113 degrees and I carried that thing to/from the pad about 4 times. My last trip back (I gave up on that motor) I passed a cameraman with a boom-mount. He followed my disgusted self as I walked past, and that was my 10 seconds of fame. They included it in the credits for the show!

Yes, but the important question is.....Have you seen a pink and yellow rocket?!

-Kevin

There have been more than 3. You forgot the original Discovery Channel LDRS event, 22 - in Argonia, KS July 2003. No Kari Byron there.

I was annoyed by all the golf carts and disruptions at LDRS 31 also - but I hope to see my onboard footage on the show this year.

Edit - it was less than 10 seconds of fame. More like 1 second. Here is video, I am 5 seconds in, carrying red(ish) rocket:

That's true, and I do remember that show. For what it's worth, I think they did a better job portraying the hobby in that show than they have in recent shows, but the fact that they were allotted 3 hours rather than 1 may have something to do with that.

(And no, I haven't seen a pink and yellow rocket ;))

Consider this... She's well known, and fairly attractive, so what happens when she's out in public? She gets mobbed, and treated like a celebrity. It gets old, I'm sure.

Last year, while waiting for the opportunity to fly Smemo's Folly for Discovery, Kari and I were halfway through my "bit". That meant the 30 - 45 minutes we waited, we had nothing to do, so the two of us just stood away from everyone and chatted. All sorts of topics, but believe it or not, mostly about our respective kids.

The cameras were nowhere nearby, and we were in a holding pattern.

Never once did I ask about MythBusters, ask to have my picture taken with her, or any other stereotypical things. I suspect that had a lot to do with her willingness to chat. My dad, a couple years back, had a long conversation with Stephen King, for much the same reason -- he treated him like a human being, not like a celebrity.

-Kevin

Bingo. I've spent my fair share of time around celebrity athletes (NASCAR, NHL, NFL) and the one thing they appreciate most is treating them like normal people. You'd be surprised at how "normal" some celebrities can be if you do just that. I can't speak for film actors/actresses as I've never really been around them, but I can't imagine they want to rehash their work history over a brief 5-10 minute chat.

I always wondered who that was!! ;)

For the (few?) interested the LDRS 31 program airs on Science Channel October 28th at 10PM Eastern time...I will be watching it(and DVR'ing it as well)

I remember The Learning Channel and Discovery Channel when they were at LDRS 18 in Kansas 1999...

I work with celebrities frequently (sports marketing industry), and most of them don't give a $h!t about their fans when the cameras aren't looking.

That said, whatever universe in which Kari could be considered either a celebrity or attractive is one that I'm not aware of, so I imagine it's more just a case of someone doing their job and trying to get it done. My question is why do people care so much? Just fly rockets and have a good time

I work with celebrities frequently (sports marketing industry), and most of them don't give a $h!t about their fans when the cameras aren't looking.

That said, whatever universe in which Kari could be considered either a celebrity or attractive is one that I'm not aware of, so I imagine it's more just a case of someone doing their job and trying to get it done. My question is why do people care so much? Just fly rockets and have a good time

Was that really necessary?

That said, whatever universe in which Kari could be considered either a celebrity or attractive is one that I'm not aware of

It's possible to disagree of course, but hard to be UNAWARE of the universe of geekdom, in which both are true. And if you're unaware of THAT universe, then you might want to avoid using things like the internet, lest your mind get blown.

I'm totally ambivalent either way regarding the future of LDRS broadcasts. While I like the fact that I can tell friends and coworkers that it's on and would be interesting to watch, I think the impact on TRA's members at LDRS needs to be the principal concern. I'm also concerned that the way our hobby is portrayed is not representative of the hobby in general. Most of my friends who watch it will probably never come out to a launch...

With that said, here's a humorous suggestion for the hosts of a future episode - how about the main cast of Big Bang Theory? They could bring some 'reality' back to the show and still keep it fun. Could you imagine the look on the face of youngster flying a mod roc as Sheldon tried to talk to them about propellant formulations, or the finer points of aerodynamic stability? Maybe instead of doing an entire show about LDRS, they could work it into a regular episode. Seems like it'd be well within the interests of their characters. Ok, I know it's not gonna happen, but I still think it'd be fun.

Last edited:
With that said, here's a humorous suggestion for the hosts of a future episode - how about the main cast of Big Bang Theory? They could bring some 'reality' back to the show and still keep it fun. Could you imagine the look on the face of youngster flying a mod roc as Sheldon tried to talk to them about propellant formulations, or the finer points of aerodynamic stability?

That would be great fun!

At the same time, the only one of the cast with any scientific background is Mayim Bialik.

-Kevin

For anone interested in watching, I just found this listing on the Science Channel website:

(60 minutes)
Large, Dangerous, Rocket Ships 2012 - (LDRS 2012)

TV-PG, CC

Kari Bryon hosts this year's competition, which was attended by over 3,000 people. Viewers will be on the firing lines and behind the scenes watching as competitors launch a snow mobile, port-a-John, a casket, and many other crazy rockets into the heavens

Sunday October 28, 2012 10:00 pm

Repeat Monday Oct 29, 1:00 am
Repeat Tuesday Oct 30, 5:00 am

Thanks for calling out my otherwise constructive post for being the result of trolling, but yes, you must be completely blind to believe that just being thin and <40 is worth oodling over and justifies producing and watching an otherwise horrendous program. There was a purpose to my point -- for the last two Discovery Channel shows (the last one was horrendous, and based on what I saw of the filming of this one, it will be no different) people seem to think the disrespect for people's time in production and god-awful representation is somehow mitigated by the fact that it's hosted by some supposed celebrity supermodel. I'm just saying that Hayden Panettiere she is not, and the fact that she is on "Myth Busters" means nothing. The no-name guy who hosted the '03 show did a far better job of at least trying to just accurately report instead of framing all the interviews and filler bits as some bizarre pop culture event.

I don't get the Scence Channel - wouldn't mind seeing it though (mainly to see if my rocket made it on TV).

Ugh, as someone who was there trying to fly several big projects off the away cell, which was conveniently bottlenecked by the "Discovery pads" and the hordes of associated traffic and as someone who's truck got dusted multiple times on the trip out to the away cell by their "super official" golf carts darting around everywhere as if they owned the place, I don't plan to watch it. They invited themselves over to the regular away cell while I was setting up one of my projects and held up the launch 20 minutes, with my batteries burning, while they set up all sorts of cameras without even asking permission or apologizing. One would think that the least they could give us for our troubles is represent the hobby remotely accurately.

+1. I couldn't agree more. I loved the field and hosts at Argonia, but LDRS XXX, (a 12 hour drive each way), was definitely NOT worth attending if one's intention was simply to fly big rockets. The bottlenecks at the away cell, interviews in the prep area having priority over actually prepping rockets, and producer-orchestrated video clips and sound bytes ruined it for quite a few of us. Which is specifically why we did not attend LDRS 31, (coincidentally, also a 12 hour drive each way). If the intention is to film a reality show or document what would otherwise be a spectacular gathering of like-minded enthusiasts, it would be marginally acceptable. But their intention is to sell a lot of commercial time by depicting rocketeers as borderline crazies. Remember all the hoopla over the red-neck rocketeers...

"Science" Channel? Not really much different.

I would suspect a direct correlation between how shows like this depict our hobby ...

Large, Dangerous, Rocket Ships 2012 - (LDRS 2012)

Kari Bryon hosts this year's competition, which was attended by over 3,000 people. Viewers will be on the firing lines and behind the scenes watching as competitors launch a snow mobile, port-a-John, a casket, and many other crazy rockets into the heavens.

and how some otherwise well-intentioned but misguided youth might start off on the wrong foot...

IMHO...

Last edited:
I used to work in a studio on the LA Center Studios lot, I've met and worked with Cameron Diaz, Ben Stiller, Danny Devito, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Drew Barrymore, and countless others, and Troj hit the nail on the head, approach them as people, equals (without being disrespectful) and they will open up and you'll see a side of these people that you would never see on TV/Film. I've seen all of them act like dicks when someone approached the m the wrong way, and you know what? They're human! They don't have to be happy public figures 24/7/365...

As for them taking over events, that does suck if its causing delays, time is limited at launches, and unlike other shows where they can pay for extra days, it doesn't work that way when the attendees ARE the show and have limited time and money...

EDIT:
Also, to the poster claiming the host was creating artificial competition, you obviously don't understand the entertainment industry, the host has nothing to do with writing the content, they're actors.

Last edited:
I remember The Learning Channel and Discovery Channel when they were at LDRS 18 in Kansas 1999...
Really? Is there any video or web reference for that? Google search of 'discovery channel LDRS 18' yields nothing.

I got re-acquainted with rocketry by happening upon LDRS 19 in Orangeburg. I was JAFO (Just Another Observer) at that time. I was hooked, and the very next year in Lucerne I certified both level-1 and level-2. Have tried to attend every LDRS since, except when I can't afford the travel. At any rate I missed -18 by "that much".

I thought Kansas in 2003 was the very first Disco Channel event. Maybe not...

With that said, here's a humorous suggestion for the hosts of a future episode - how about the main cast of Big Bang Theory? They could bring some 'reality' back to the show and still keep it fun. Could you imagine the look on the face of youngster flying a mod roc as Sheldon tried to talk to them about propellant formulations, or the finer points of aerodynamic stability? .

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I thought Kansas in 2003 was the very first Disco Channel event. Maybe not...

Rocket Challenge was the first full-up show about LDRS, as I recall, but I've seen clips of previous shows. I don't have the particulars of when it aired, or what the show was, but I've seen at least parts of it. No clue if it's available online, or not.

-Kevin

I believe the show that featured LDRS 18 was called 'Wild and Wacky Rockets'..Aired on the Discovery channel..I watched it and then DVR'd it(alas that DVR unit died before I had a chance of exporting it)..That show was the catalyst of me becoming a BAR

I believe the show that featured LDRS 18 was called 'Wild and Wacky Rockets'..Aired on the Discovery channel..I watched it and then DVR'd it(alas that DVR unit died before I had a chance of exporting it)..That show was the catalyst of me becoming a BAR

There was also a high powered rocketry segment on the Discovery Channel's show Mean Machines, featuring rockets of all shapes and sizes.....back when dinosaurs were still walking the earth......As I recall this was very well done and actually focused on high power rocketry, without the stunts and gags.....

Neil

:flyingpig:

They used my onboard footage twice in the show - once near the very begining and once about halfway through.

It is easily recognizable because I accidentally had the camera lens rotated 90 degrees, so the rocket body is to the right in the video image. :cyclops:

[video=youtube;aDigbWD9B0w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDigbWD9B0w[/video]

They used my onboard footage twice in the show - once near the very begining and once about halfway through.

It is easily recognizable because I accidentally had the camera lens rotated 90 degrees, so the rocket body is to the right in the video image. :cyclops:

[video=youtube;aDigbWD9B0w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDigbWD9B0w[/video]

Ooooooh, I like the camera orientation. Definitely gives it a unique perspective. Well done.

Back