Different size tubes, centering rings...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocketSquirrel

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Im very new to higher powered rocketry, i grew up building the simple estes kits. Estes has their way of measuring tubes, BT55 etc. Some tubes are measured by inches some us metric (wouldnt it be nice if everything was metric?) I purchased a large box of someone's old rocket equipment and he had tubes of all different thickness, widths... also couplers, bulkheads, thrust rings... lots of stuff! i have a digital measuring tool and try to see what is what, or what i need to buy to fit this and that. I see 29mm, 1.1"/1.1"(P)/ 1.1"(S).. so many different ways of describing its measurements. Is there a document that makes sense of all this? Like in a way a 5 year old could understand haha thanks!!!

Maybe this will help...
Thanks, im familiar with the estes tube system. Im getting into high level and it looks like i just to painstakingly verify every part i order will fit, hope i dont squeeze the calipers too tight or loose and get a false reading haha if i come up with a spreadsheet ill share it. I not only want tube sizes, but knowing what coupler/centering ring will go with what as well. Sort of a complicated question to ask! Thanka for the reply!

Thanks, im familiar with the estes tube system. Im getting into high level and it looks like i just to painstakingly verify every part i order will fit, hope i dont squeeze the calipers too tight or loose and get a false reading haha if i come up with a spreadsheet ill share it. I not only want tube sizes, but knowing what coupler/centering ring will go with what as well. Sort of a complicated question to ask! Thanka for the reply!
That's one of my frustrations. as well. The PML web site is *extremely* confusing, mixing inch and metric sizes.

Thanks, im familiar with the estes tube system. Im getting into high level and it looks like i just to painstakingly verify every part i order will fit
It is complicated.
Once upon a time I believe there was good compatibility between Estes and Centuri parts, and maybe Semroc parts after that. Then it really got complicated. There is also some overlap between the thin tubes sold by Estes and thicker tubes sold by companies making highpower components. Some sellers such as Apogee will probably provide support in the form of telling you what parts fit each other, other sellers may not. You can always ask here and maybe someone will know.

It is complicated.
Once upon a time I believe there was good compatibility between Estes and Centuri parts, and maybe Semroc parts after that. Then it really got complicated. There is also some overlap between the thin tubes sold by Estes and thicker tubes sold by companies making highpower components. Some sellers such as Apogee will probably provide support in the form of telling you what parts fit each other, other sellers may not. You can always ask here and maybe someone will know.
I love how helpful people are here. I hope to someday understand it well enough to help others with it. The guy at launch lab rocketry has been very helpful, he respods to my noob questions and answers late at night haha when i first started i wanted to make my own tubes... it cant be THAT hard... ive alreay done it successfully but they arent strong yet.

LOC/PML airframes are listed by diameter in inches:

1709569937569.png

Tube couplers listed in inches and mm (sometimes :) )

1709570132998.png

For your mystery parts box start piling up like pieces and then see what fits in what. Pictures with a ruler for scale posted here may prompt some recognition.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
LOC/PML airframes are listed by diameter in inches:

View attachment 633867

Tube couplers listed in inches and mm (sometimes :) )

View attachment 633868

For your mystery parts box start piling up like pieces and then see what fits in what. Pictures with a ruler for scale posted here may prompt some recognition.

Hope this helps.

The LOC system only helps if you know you're only dealing with LOC parts. The nominal (name they call it) is often rounded by several digits. Some of their sizes are named by ID, some are named by OD. Some of the sizes, they provide the ID and OD, some they don't. Most match up with other companies' similar products, if you can figure out how to match up the designations, but some don't. And that's true of most vendors. It's really quite a mess.

@SolarYellow Agreed. I used one well known high-power vendor as an example. One size does not fit all and 5 year olds are on their own.

Last edited:
The LOC system only helps if you know you're only dealing with LOC parts. The nominal (name they call it) is often rounded by several digits. Some of their sizes are named by ID, some are named by OD. Some of the sizes, they provide the ID and OD, some they don't. Most match up with other companies' similar products, if you can figure out how to match up the designations, but some don't. And that's true of most vendors. It's really quite a mess.
Apogee lists measurements for many tubes, including LOC. It helped me try to find a coupler for an unlabeled tube I had laying around.

Hans.

Back