CAD Software Difference between the large-object template and the small-object in the Rhino CAD program

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MetricRocketeer

Member of the US Metric Association
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hi TRF colleagues,

I am using OpenRocket to draw a model of the LOC Warlock, which I hope to eventually fly for an L2 attempt.

While I am at it, I thought that I would try to produce a CAD drawing of this rocket.

I have limited CAD knowledge. A couple of years ago I purchased an academic version of Rhino (I have Version 6, and the latest version is 7), so I am trying to relearn what little I knew to make the CAD drawing.

Here is my question please. You can set the drawing as a “large object” or a “small object”, and the difference between the two is the tolerance. As I understand it, “large” templates have tolerance set at 0.01 units, whereas “small” templates have tolerance set at 0.001 units.

What should I use — large or small templates?

Thank you.

Stanley

Hi TRF colleagues,

I am using OpenRocket to draw a model of the LOC Warlock, which I hope to eventually fly for an L2 attempt.

While I am at it, I thought that I would try to produce a CAD drawing of this rocket.

I have limited CAD knowledge. A couple of years ago I purchased an academic version of Rhino (I have Version 6, and the latest version is 7), so I am trying to relearn what little I knew to make the CAD drawing.

Here is my question please. You can set the drawing as a “large object” or a “small object”, and the difference between the two is the tolerance. As I understand it, “large” templates have tolerance set at 0.01 units, whereas “small” templates have tolerance set at 0.001 units.

What should I use — large or small templates?

Thank you.

Stanley
Well, you're building out of cardboard and wood. Can you meaningfully measure or cut 0.001 units?

Disclaimer: I know nothing about this software.

What is the actual difference in use between large and small objects? What penalty is paid for getting the tighter tolerance of small objects?

Disclaimer: I know nothing about this software.

What is the actual difference in use between large and small objects? What penalty is paid for getting the tighter tolerance of small objects?
Hi @neil_w and anyone else who is interested,

I managed to find an explanation of tolerances as they pertain to Rhino software. Here is a link to the information for anyone who cares to read it, and it is only about one page long:

https://wiki.mcneel.com/rhino/faqtolerances
Stanley

Back