Der Red Max

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah:
but my old full size still takes to the skys every so often. I almost wish I had but a 24mm mount in it back then.. maybe I'll just clone another just for fun:D

Will and Astronboy Heres a 3 pic page of two different Micro Maxx flights.. The little guy really does get up there a ways:D Both flights are on the old MM-I 1/8thA motors by the way.

Very Nice!!

My experience with Micro Max has been 'Shhhhhhhpt...... where is it?"

Very Nice Keith! Great looking model.

Guys:
I mentioned in an earlier post I still have 3 DRM's in the bag.. I I measured the BT-60 tube's the other day through the plastic. I got 7 1/2" long... I thought I saw folks saying the main body tube was 8 1/2" long. is this an error or do I have some strange packaged kits?
My model and Keiths model "appear" to have the same length body. Keith could you measure you main tube and settle this question.
Thanks.

The body tube on my DRM is 8.5 inches. The plans on JimZ call for a BT-60HE and according to Ninfingers Estes Body Tube Size Chart that is 8.5 inches. Hope this helps!

Keith

I just measured the tube in my boxed Citation DRM (black injection molded nosecone), and it is 8.5".

Humm!
Thanks guys, I'll have to check them again. Mine are original Bagged kits from way back.
I have and old "Deciphering Old Estes Plans" by Bill Cutin that doesn't even list the BT-60HE

I wouldn't be too worried about bagged kits. ESTES was and is known for not throwing anything away, and then dumping whatever it is.... just look at those 36" nylon chutes in the parts assortments...

Yeah I went looking for one of those:D What a steal that would have been:D
We kit collectors go by number and condition anyway, so like you said the size of the tube in the kit isn't that important, unless this is some kind of a rare find or something.. heres hoping:)

Despite the fact that the 36" chute is way to huge for anything you can built out of the designer kit, I found mine to be a great chute for my old Maxi Brute V2.

I got to fly my half scale cardstock Red Max last weekend - didn't think I got any pictures, but a couple did turn out. Here it is on the pad.

Greg

Originally posted by gpoehlein
I got to fly my half scale cardstock Red Max last weekend -

Did you custom-turn a nosecone to some goofy diameter that has no body tube? Just curious, but why card stock? How did you do the decals?
(The rocket looks great, btw)

No, the entire rocket is made from 110# cardstock - the color and decals are pre-printed on the page. The nose cone is made up of a paper cone, two transitions and a cylinder, with a foam core plug. Actually, it needed a bit more weight in the nose, but that was easily done. I scaled the rocket down to a 24mm body tube (BT50) and scaled the nose cone and fins to that size. I'm discovering that it is astonishing what you can build out of paper!

Greg

p.s. A bit upthread is a close-up of the cardstock mini Red Max for a better look at it.

body tubes ARE paper, sowhy not try your own?

You would probably enjoy reading some of the published stuff about people making competition tubes out of vellum (drafting) paper. I don't have a web site handy, but I'll dig for one.

Back