Der Red Max: A Fast Build!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fore Check

Reaction score
Hello,

I picked up a couple of DRM (new) kits in St. Louis at Schaeffer's hobby this morning, drove back to my house in S.E. Iowa this afternoon, and in abot 2 hours worth of effort I've got the 24mm mount built (with kevlar harness), the fins sanded and attached, and the first round of fillets drying.

I got home at 4:00 pm CDT. It's now 8:15 and when I flip and fillet some more it will be time to start finishing. What is today? Monday? I should have this DRM decal-ed by Wednesday (no later) - weather permitting.

It's refreshing to slap together a nice easy "pirate kit" (as my daughter calls it) for a change. :D

Hello,

I picked up a couple of DRM (new) kits in St. Louis at Schaeffer's hobby this mornin

Okay, I've got to admit, I'm kinda ticked off at Schaeffers's now - no offense to Fore Check.

I called yesterday morning as Schaeffer's opened to ask if they had these kits in stock. My intent was to drive there during lunch. The sales person put me on hold and came back to tell me they didn't have any in stock. Unless Forecheck was there as they opened, this means they were on the racks. The sales clerk came back to tell me they didn't have any in-stock and asked when Estes had released them.

Hummpppffff :(

I wonder if I should just make the drive at lunch today to see if there's any left. Forecheck what do you think? Do you leave any behind?

Okay, I've got to admit, I'm kinda ticked off at Schaeffers's now - no offense to Fore Check.

I called yesterday morning as Schaeffer's opened to ask if they had these kits in stock. My intent was to drive there during lunch. The sales person put me on hold and came back to tell me they didn't have any in stock. Unless Forecheck was there as they opened, this means they were on the racks. The sales clerk came back to tell me they didn't have any in-stock and asked when Estes had released them.

Hummpppffff :(

I wonder if I should just make the drive at lunch today to see if there's any left. Forecheck what do you think? Do you leave any behind?

Ahhhh...

I should clarify.

I actually went in on *Sunday* to buy them. Not Monday. But I did leave St. Louis on Monday late morning as indicated with them.

I too called around a bit looking for them - including Checkered Flag in S. County, HobbyTown USA in Ballwin (on Manchester), and Hobby Station in Kirkwood. Again, this was on Sunday. Schaeffers had the 2 DRMs and I bought them both.

Hobby Station in Kirkwood said that they place orders for rockets on Monday and receive them on Tuesday. He also indicated that they've been selling a lot of rockets lately. When I talked to him on Sunday (the guy at Hobby Station,) he said that you can "place an order" for a rocket on Monday for Tuesday (in store) delivery. That said, you might try them later today in case they get any in.

In case you've never been there, Hobby Station is right on Lindbergh in the heart of Kirkwood, a couple of blocks south of the Amtrak station and RR crossing (if you're vaguely familiar with Kirkwood, that should get you there no problem.)

Hobby Station, eh?

I've never had any luck with them - as they mainly focus on trains. I'll probably just end up calling Mark Twain (St. Peters) this morning and see if they'll place an order for me.

Tks.

Hobby Station, eh?

I've never had any luck with them - as they mainly focus on trains.

Agreed - but I thought I'd pass along what the man said. Might not hurt to give them a call.

You know what's really weird?

I knew (from your postings) that you were/are looking for a DRM. With two in hand yesterday, and with my route back to Iowa (from Fenton) taking me to 40 in Chesterfield and then straight out to Wentzville and up 61 (north through Hannibal) I considered sending you a PM to see if you wanted to "buy" one from me (at cost, of course) and meet me in the Wentzville area on the way out of town. Alas, my wife was a bit "impatient" and wanted to get on the road and get home. :(

The bright side (for me) is that I now get to build two of them, with different motor mount configurations.

Ah, don't worry about it - really no big deal. I have enough on my plate that I probably wouldn't build them immediately anyhow.

Just trying to find two, for a DRM build - as well as a Der Blue Max build (decals bought already).

Hey, next time you're in town send me a message and we can meet for lunch or a launch.

Latest posts

Back