Deltie Airshow

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zak Orion

Reaction score
Finally flew my Deltie airshow this weekend. I flew the airshow on a c6-3(mistake). Prior to the flight I had a incident with one of the holders, breaking off a small piece of one of the hooks but the holder seemed to be able to hold the glider yet. The rocket launched great and went straight until ejection. At ejection I had another failure of the really thin kevlar(keep forgetting to hook the swivel to the nosecone instead of the shockcord when using the stuff). We recovered the booster and the nosecone undamaged. As for the gliders, I made them too good. We tracked them for about a mile before they dissapeared into some woods, still at about 200 feet. They did circle nice but right after the launch the wind kicked up a little and was pushing them.

Overall, I love this rocket and am going to build another with a few modifications (quest style shock cord, basswood holders instead of the balsa). Hopefully, this will fix a couple of the problems I saw with it. As for engines, I am going to make sure that I only put b4-4s in it.

Oops, thought I was in the kit review section not the low-powered section.

Zak:
I love the Delti Airshow, We've used it extensively at Demos. We are privliged to have Robert Edmonds as a member of our club, he usually flys at least one Delti Airshow at our Night launches with tiny fishing lure cylume sticks Ca'ed to the underside spar of the gliders and on 3 sides of the booster. It is an awesome sight with all three gliders circling the launch site in the dark.. Very, very kewl!
Robert never flys the airshow on anything larger than a B even during the day, opting more of A's to get the well trimmed gliders back for another flight. Just a suggestion:)

I think I'm speaking for everyone when I say, pictures please! :D

Ok, I think asking for pictures means that I've learned the ways of TRF! :D :D

Sorry Bill!
I've tried several times to get a pic of the Airshow at night, But all I got was a black screen:( the little devils are kind of Quick to stop action in no light. It as a sight worth seeing, If you in the area of Middletown, Maryland on Sept, 13th we are holding a Club Night launch your welcome to come an fly or just watch:) we usually start the day late 12:00noon for normal day sport launch stuff, break for dinner at about 5:00 to change over the ranger for night operations than do dusk to night launches about 6:30 to 9:30 so we can break down and be out of the park by 10:00PM If your interested go to the Narhams.org web page all the flying reg's are there. It is a Blast!:D

Robert never flys the airshow on anything larger than a B even during the day, opting more of A's to get the well trimmed gliders back for another flight. Just a suggestion

I learned that. I guess my rule about using nothing smaller then a C. I will have to invest in some A's and B's. That leaves only one engine rule left, I don't use estes D's(seen way too many CATOs with them)

I am not sure if there are going to be pics. the regulars in the club didn't bring cameras. One visitor brought a camera but I am not sure if he was filming the flight:(

Zak:
I hate to burst your last MR Motor taboo. but My other online name is mrcluster. I'd rather fly a 3 to 7 motor cluster of D12's than almost anything.... well expect flying micro-maxes:D I refuse to use AP! and I can count the number of Cato's on one hand in over 30 years of flying. Key is not to heat cycle the motors. I still fly BP motor's I've had since the 70's...But No I don't have any D13's left.. but even those I only had One Cato on an original Gobin:(
It's all in how you store your motors and where you bought them to being with:)
I try to purchase motors direct from the manufacturer or at least from a hobby shop that knows how to ship motors. I also try to get batches in the spring, fall and winter months to aviod motors shipped during the hot summer months. This has worked pretty well for me. If you buy small quantities of motors at a time, try to plan ahead a little and do your purchasing in the fall and winter for the next summers flying season.. I usually ask for motor at Chirstmas. That's been a Boon to my pocketbook, specify what motors you need:)
Hope this helps a little

I have been doing some clustering myself. I have a modified stormcaster that flies very nice on 3 c6-5's and a scratch built rocket that flies great on 3 E-9's. I also have 3 different gemini DC like designs that I am working on. One has a 3 engine cluster, another has 1 ground started and 2 airstarted engines and the other has a interesting dual deployment setup that I want to try, mostly to freak people out a little. As for the D's, I have heard how reliable they are but our club has horrible luck with them. Most of it has to do with some 15 year old motors with loose propellant but we have had bad luck with some newer engines also. Also seems that the only rocket it happens to is Maxi Alpha 3's(our club has 4 or 5 of them between 2 people).

Zak:
If you do a search, a couple months ago we had a pretty long thread called "Clustering the Classics" that has loads of still and lift off pic you might want to purse:)

Back