Dedicated Stereo/Audio/Video thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On the wood platforms, last time I was at my wood supplier I noticed they had a bunch of hardwood stair treads in stock. Seemed like an excellent starting point for shelves, bases and mini workbenches.

As for concrete, I'm not crazy about the idea. I've had to move stuff around far too much to cozy up to things that don't easily break down into manageable pieces. (Although I was rather fond of Rauna speakers. I think they hit a pretty good balance of heft and manageability.)

For a very heavy, stable platform I would tend toward something hollow with sand or shot fill. Bonus feature: sand fill tends to be much less resonant. Tap on a stone or concrete slab, block, whatever. They generally go bonk. Sand filled boxes go thud.

Over on the DIY thread there was brief string of posts on phono cartridges. The Goldring E3 was mentioned as a superior choice over a Grado. Unfortunately, I have a low mass Grace 707 tonearm and don't want to change it. The compliance on the E3 is not that high. The Grado is "highish" compliance. So will the Grado sound better than the Goldring on my arm?

(It seems high compliance cartridges went out of fashion some time ago)
Denon D103 might be your choice, then.
Nevermind. I misremembered. D103 is low-compliance, other end of the spectrum.

Denon 103 has a compliance of FIVE. Heavy arms only.

(editorial: plus it's a frikkin' conical stylus - you can mount one of those BACKWARDS and it would work the same - not very well)

Denon 103 has a compliance of FIVE. Heavy arms only.

(editorial: plus it's a frikkin' conical stylus - you can mount one of those BACKWARDS and it would work the same - not very well)
Hmmm...my D103 has a microridge.

Of course, I had it rebuilt by VAS. [grin]

Please note my correction above.

I really miss my high end turntables. It makes you want to smack everybody's grandmother in the mouth having to get rid of those things. that I had lusted for all those years. The Oracle with the Koetsu tonearm, the Thorens, Revox B791 linear tracking, Systemdek II, Micro Seiki with a MA505 tonearm.
The best cartridge I ever had was a Sumiko Blackbird with a Sound Smith Ruby Cantilever. It was the lowest noise, blackest background,
with the best dynamics of all of them, and bass to kill for.

I bought a butcher-block that was 15x20 and really turned out to be just a tad to small.
The VPI Prime was spilling over the sides so it went back.

Then I found, for about $25 LESS delivered, a b-grade machinist's granite block on Amazon.
Delivered today - 18x24x3 granite block that weighs in at 150 pounds.
Had a rocket buddy stop over and help lift it into place.

Waiting for my black filament to dry - then going to print a couple of custom leveling shims.
Then I can get back to listening.

I've also picked up about 2 dozen new records.
Lots of half-speed masters and other good pressings.
Incoming Eargasms!

Last edited:
The Prime-21 on the 18x24x3 granite block.

That VPI is a beautiful table!

My vinyl experience has mainly been with Rega tables, and my most recent one is the P8. It's coupled with a Hana Umami Blue cartridge, and it's a pleasure every time I spin a disk.

Attachments

• Rega Table.jpg
    Rega Table.jpg
    261.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Rega P8.jpg
    Rega P8.jpg
    254 KB · Views: 0
  • Hana Cartridge.jpg
    Hana Cartridge.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 0
Thanks John. A P8 was in the running, but my local B&M dealer who reps VPI, Rega and Clearaudio, recommended the VPI for the best compromise of SQ, price and floor isolation. I'm a happy camper.

The Hana Blue or Red is probably my next cartridge. I hear they have a end-of-year sale. Do you love your blue?
Thankfully my B&M confirmed my Dynavector has has legs left before I need to go shopping.

Zerostat's forever - started sometime in the 70's too - back then they cost something like $35 - now I think they are $120.

Anybody recommend a record-cleaning machine? Wet-Vac or Ultrasonic? Budget $1k max. VPI? Pro-Ject? What's best for clean & play use?

Zerostat's forever - started sometime in the 70's too - back then they cost something like $35 - now I think they are $120.

Anybody recommend a record-cleaning machine? Wet-Vac or Ultrasonic? Budget $1k max. VPI? Pro-Ject? What's best for clean & play use?
There is a rocketry crossover here.
Record cleaning fluid (for manual), still playing with the formula.
75 distilled water
25 90% rubbing or isopropyl alcohol
1 drop Triton-x per quart.

If you have second hand record that is really dirty then,
1st pass. 75 distilled water, 20 Iso, 5 d-limonene, 1 drop Triton X

2nd pass. First solution.

I had a VPI 16 that was a steaming POS and I ended up giving it away.

eKRDT0j.gif

Back