Decisions, Decisions....

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pugachu

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I ordered a bunch of 8' sticks of 80/20 1" extrusion for a different project, and they came in this tube.... now i can't just throw it away, can I?

Earlier this year i accidently bought a 98/7680 casing off fleabay, thinking it was a 75/7680 casing... i don't have any 98mm mmt rockets... i guess this is my chance...

The tube is 6" ID, about 3/16" wall thickness, and 8 1/2' long.

Attachments

• 20231227_103543.jpg
    20231227_103543.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
It'll be a while before this flies... i am think a sorta squat rocket with swept fins. Using 5ft of the shipping tube for airframe and about 14" for the coupler and nosecone shoulder/payload bay. Im thinking a HED type dual deploy. I will 3d print an undersized VK nosecone, and cover it in fiberglass to build up to the OD that i want.

I still have most of a sheet of 3/8" baltic birch from my L3 project over 15 years ago.

Attached are the initial plans. The weight is a total unknown. Without fiberglass, Rocksim is estimating 15lbs, but I'm guessing it'll be closer to 30lbs dry.

Attachments

• 6in 98mm Rocket Concept 2d.jpg
    6in 98mm Rocket Concept 2d.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 6in 98mm Rocket Concept 3d.jpg
    6in 98mm Rocket Concept 3d.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 1
I used thick wall shipping tube, 2" ID, 1/8" thick wall for my scratch built L1 cert rocket. It flew great on a couple of I1299N Warp 9 motors at +80G. That should work great for a 98mm motor! I would use the whole tube for BT and scratch build a coupler and nosecone shoulder. Or just glue the insulating foam together, shape a nose cone and shoulder and coat it all with fiberglass resin. Just glue about a 1" dowel at least 5 inches up into the nose cone, above the shoulder. It will hold up better that way.

Of course if you really don't want to spend the time with that tube, you could always send it my way! ;)

Back